- Delightful Darjeeling, the ‘Queen of Himalayas.
- 2,134 meters altitude.
- Tibetan word ‘dorje ling’ or ‘Place of the Thunderbolt’.
- Endowed with exceptional scenic beauty.
- Magnificent view of the grandeur and beauty of the mighty Himalayas.
- Beautiful town is indeed a paradise for holiday and adventure seekers as well as botanists, ornithologists, photographers and artists.
- Darjeeling is also synonymous with the most exquisite tea of the world.
- Airport : Bagdogra Domestic Airport (IXB), 90 kms distance from Darjeeling.
- Rail : New Jalpaiguri Railway Station, 85 kms distance from Darjeeling.
- Road : Well connected with Kolkata by road 626 kms.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
|Natural History Museum, Ava Art Gallery
|Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Garden,
PARK & GARDEN
|Lloyd Botanical Garden, The Srubbery
|Batasia Loop, Bhutia Basti Monastery, Chowrasta or Crossroad, Observatory Hill, Tenzing Norgay Mountaineering Institute, Japanese Peace Pagoda,Ghoom, Tiger Hill, Darjeeling Ropeway, Happy Valley Tea Estate
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Sawane Sakranti
- SANSARI PUJA
- Maghey Sakranti
- Gyalwang Drukpa
- Guru Purnima
- Eid Mubarak
- Buddha Jayanti
- Bhai Tika
- Fulpati and lakhe dances
DARJEELING ATTRACTIONS & ACTIVITIES
- It lies just below Ghoom and is anengineering marvel.
- Site affords a spectacular view of Darjeeling.
- The majestic Kanchenjungha in the background.
- There is also a War Memorial.
Bhutia Basti Monastery:
- Small monastery with beautifully painted façade belongs to the Bhutias, as people of Tibetan origin.
Chowrasta or Crossroad:
- It is the ‘heart of Victorian Darjeeling’.
- A hub of commercial activity.
- The famous Mall Road originates and culminates here and is studded with hotels, restaurants, shops and stalls.
- Attractive promenade affords fine view of the Himalayas.
- One can also enjoy a leisurely ride on a horse beck.
Natural History Museum:
- A rich collection of local fauna are exhibited here.
- It resembles the famous Pashupatinath Temple in Kathmandu.
- The hill held sacred by Hindu and Buddhists affords a panoramic view of Kanchenjunga.
- There is a 19th century Mahakaal Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and a Buddhist Monastery.
- It had an observatory, which no longer exists.
Lloyd Botanical Garden:
- This well laid out terraced garden has a fine collection of plant specimens from the sub-temperate and temperate Himalayas.
- Representative collection of plants from all over the world.
- Orchidarium here has over 2,500 plants.
- Annual flower show is held here during the summer months.
Tenzing Norgay Mountaineering Institute:
- It lies on Jawahar Parbat and is the first mountaineering training centre of the country.
- HMI Museum depicts history of mountaineering, while the Everest Museum displays memorabilia of the 1953.
- Everest expedition of Tenzing and Hillary.
- Another attraction is the huge ‘Hitler’s Telescope’, which provides a fine view of Kanchenjunga.
Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Garden:
- Located near the Tenzing Norgay Mountaineering Institute.
- It is home to some rare Himalayan fauna like, snow leopard, yak, Siberian tiger, Himalayan black bear, red panda, Tibetan wolf, Himalayan pheasant etc.
- This charming garden at Jawahar Parbat, behind Raj Bhawan.
- It provides a breath-taking view of Kanchenjunga range and Single Valley.
Japanese Peace Pagoda:
- It was inaugurated in 1993.
- Affords an excellent view of the town and Majestic Mountains.
- On the way is Lalkothi, the DGHC Council House, which can be viewed from outside.
- 8 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- It is well known for the railway station at highest altitude in the country.
- The Tibetan Buddhist Monastery here enshrines a 4.8 meter statue of the Maitreya Buddha.
- Famous for the Tibetan New Year celebrations (February / March).
- The 30.5 meter high Ghoom Rock offers a fine view and is a popular tourist site.
- 13 kms from city center.
- The 2,585 meters high hill affords the best view of Kanchenjunga, especially at sunrise.
- One can enjoy an awe-inspiring view of the Himalayas from a viewing tower here.
Tenzing Rock & Gombu Rock:
- Situated at Lebong Cart Road.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute conducts preliminary course on Rock Climbing.
Ava Art Gallery:
- 2 kms from Darjeeling city center on the way to Ghoom.
- It houses fine art and embroidery work of Mrs. Ava Devi.
Happy Valley Tea Estate:
- 3 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- About 70 tea gardens in this hilly region.
- Here one can see the processing of the world famous Darjeeling tea.
Lebong Race Course:
- 8 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Smallest race course in the world.
- Complete lap is only 480 yds. Long.
Garg World Amusement Park:
- 4 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Amusement park with a variety of attractions.
Rock Garden & Ganga Maya Park:
- 10 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- A very attractive picnic spot with natural water falls.
- Boating facilities and is endowed with great scenic beauty
Tibetan Refugee Self Help Centre:
- Tibetan refugee self-help centre was established in 1959.
- This centre produces excellent carpets, woollen goods, wood work, leather work etc.
- 10 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Three artificial lakes on a 2,487 meters high hill supply water to Darjeeling.
- Popular picnic spot.
- The golf course here is one of the highest in the world.
- Darjeeling produces the world’s best premium teas.
- Popularly referred as the “Champagne of the East”
- There are about 86 tea gardens.
- Produce around 25% of India’s total output of tea.
- The Happy Valley Tea Estate produces world’s most expensive and exotically flavoured tea.
- One can witness the famous ‘Orthodox Tea Manufacture’ method of tea processing.
Darjeeling Toy Train:
- The famous Toy Train of Darjeeling is listed among the world Heritage Sites of UNESCO.
- It runs between Siliguri to Darjeeling in 19th century and covering a distance of 83 kms.
- The mini train is a marvel of rail engineering and weaves a magical spell as it passes through the beautiful landscape teeming with tea gardens serpentine streams and excellent viewpoints.
- Ghoom railway station on this track is located at the highest altitude in the country.
- Should atleast take a joy ride on this magnificent train from Darjeeling Station to Ghoom Station.
- There are two ropeway systems at Darjeeling.
- First one is 1,408 meters long, connecting Darjeeling with Bijanbari at the little Rangeet Valley.
- Second one is a bi-cable passenger ropeway that connects Darjeeling’s North Point and Singla covering an aerial distance of 8 kms.
- It is the first bi-cable passenger-carrying ropeway in India and the longest of its kind in Asia.
- Trekking was stated in the Darjeeling Hills almost a century ago.
- First organized trekking route in India was setup here.
- Trek begins in Darjeeling and proceeds through Maneybhanjyang, Tonglu, Sandakphu and ends in Phalut.
- Water Rafting on the river Teesta.
- The banks, surrounding hills, its flora & fauna.
- Water Rafting is often an adventure.
- 52 kms from Darjeeling
- Charming hill resort has some of the best flower and orchid producing nurseries in the country.
- There are three Buddhist monasteries, Mangal Dhaam, Mangal Dasji and St. Theresa’s Church.
- A shopper’s paradise, Tibetan crafts items can be picked up as souvenirs.
- 32 kms from Darjeeling.
- Picturesque town located between Darjeeling and Siliguri.
- The Land of White Orchid.
- There is Forest Museum, Deer Park, mini amusement park and a lovely water reservoir.
- 49 kms from Darjeeling.
- Beautiful hill resort surrounded by tea estates, orange orchards, cardamom plantations.
- Famous for the Sumendu Lake.
- Boating and angling facilities are available here.
- 11 kms drive from Mirik Town.
- Located on the Indo-Nepal border in the Darjeeling District.
- Famous for foreign goods.
- Getaway to the Kingdom of Nepal.
- 70 kms from Darjeeling.
- Surrounded by pine forest.
- Magnificent views of the snow ranges of Mount Kanchenjunga.
- 82 kms from Darjeeling.
- Situated at a height of 3,636 meters.
- Paradise for all adventure lovers.
- Highest trekking point on this hill.
- Only place in the world where you will find a Rhododendron and Silver fir forests.
- Never seen before views of the Himalayan Range.
- 16 kms from Darjeeling, on the way to Mirik.
- Lakes are the main attraction in this place.
- Around lake is beautiful Himalayan Salamander.
- 80 kms from Darjeeling and 32 kms from Kalimpong.
- Famous for the Neora Valley National Park.
- Spectacular view of the Himalayan snow.
- 70 kms from Darjeeling and 56 kms from Kalimpong.
- Panoramic view of the Kanchenjunga.
- Jhandi Dara offers beautiful views at sunrise.
- 32 kms from Kalimpong.
- Deep silent forest of Pines, Rhododendrons and Orchids.
- Views of the vast range of Kanchenjunga and Blue Mountains of Sikkim.
- 15 kms from Darjeeling on the way Ghoom-Mirik road.
- Explore the tranquility of unknown Darjeeling hills.
- Ideal place for honeymooners.
- 101 kms from Darjeeling and 65 kms from Siliguri.
- Especially for wild life sanctuaries.
- Jaldapara, offering memorable elephant rides through rhino and tiger forests.
- Other sanctuaries include Buxa Tiger Project, Gorumara and Chapramari.