- Delightful Darjeeling, the ‘Queen of Himalayas.
- 2,134 meters altitude.
- Tibetan word ‘dorje ling’ or ‘Place of the Thunderbolt’.
- Endowed with exceptional scenic beauty.
- Magnificent view of the grandeur and beauty of the mighty Himalayas.
- Beautiful town is indeed a paradise for holiday and adventure seekers as well as botanists, ornithologists, photographers and artists.
- Darjeeling is also synonymous with the most exquisite tea of the world.
- Airport : Bagdogra Domestic Airport (IXB), 90 kms distance from Darjeeling.
- Rail : New Jalpaiguri Railway Station, 85 kms distance from Darjeeling.
- Road : Well connected with Kolkata by road 626 kms.
- It lies just below Ghoom and is anengineering marvel.
- Site affords a spectacular view of Darjeeling.
- The majestic Kanchenjungha in the background.
- There is also a War Memorial.
Bhutia Basti Monastery:
- Small monastery with beautifully painted façade belongs to the Bhutias, as people of Tibetan origin.
Chowrasta or Crossroad:
- It is the ‘heart of Victorian Darjeeling’.
- A hub of commercial activity.
- The famous Mall Road originates and culminates here and is studded with hotels, restaurants, shops and stalls.
- Attractive promenade affords fine view of the Himalayas.
- One can also enjoy a leisurely ride on a horse beck.
Natural History Museum:
- A rich collection of local fauna are exhibited here.
- It resembles the famous Pashupatinath Temple in Kathmandu.
- The hill held sacred by Hindu and Buddhists affords a panoramic view of Kanchenjunga.
- There is a 19th century Mahakaal Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and a Buddhist Monastery.
- It had an observatory, which no longer exists.
Lloyd Botanical Garden:
- This well laid out terraced garden has a fine collection of plant specimens from the sub-temperate and temperate Himalayas.
- Representative collection of plants from all over the world.
- Orchidarium here has over 2,500 plants.
- Annual flower show is held here during the summer months.
Tenzing Norgay Mountaineering Institute:
- It lies on Jawahar Parbat and is the first mountaineering training centre of the country.
- HMI Museum depicts history of mountaineering, while the Everest Museum displays memorabilia of the 1953.
- Everest expedition of Tenzing and Hillary.
- Another attraction is the huge ‘Hitler’s Telescope’, which provides a fine view of Kanchenjunga.
Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Garden:
- Located near the Tenzing Norgay Mountaineering Institute.
- It is home to some rare Himalayan fauna like, snow leopard, yak, Siberian tiger, Himalayan black bear, red panda, Tibetan wolf, Himalayan pheasant etc.
- This charming garden at Jawahar Parbat, behind Raj Bhawan.
- It provides a breath-taking view of Kanchenjunga range and Single Valley.
Japanese Peace Pagoda:
- It was inaugurated in 1993.
- Affords an excellent view of the town and Majestic Mountains.
- On the way is Lalkothi, the DGHC Council House, which can be viewed from outside.
- 8 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- It is well known for the railway station at highest altitude in the country.
- The Tibetan Buddhist Monastery here enshrines a 4.8 meter statue of the Maitreya Buddha.
- Famous for the Tibetan New Year celebrations (February / March).
- The 30.5 meter high Ghoom Rock offers a fine view and is a popular tourist site.
- 13 kms from city center.
- The 2,585 meters high hill affords the best view of Kanchenjunga, especially at sunrise.
- One can enjoy an awe-inspiring view of the Himalayas from a viewing tower here.
Tenzing Rock & Gombu Rock:
- Situated at Lebong Cart Road.
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute conducts preliminary course on Rock Climbing.
Ava Art Gallery:
- 2 kms from Darjeeling city center on the way to Ghoom.
- It houses fine art and embroidery work of Mrs. Ava Devi.
Happy Valley Tea Estate:
- 3 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- About 70 tea gardens in this hilly region.
- Here one can see the processing of the world famous Darjeeling tea.
Lebong Race Course:
- 8 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Smallest race course in the world.
- Complete lap is only 480 yds. Long.
Garg World Amusement Park:
- 4 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Amusement park with a variety of attractions.
Rock Garden & Ganga Maya Park:
- 10 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- A very attractive picnic spot with natural water falls.
- Boating facilities and is endowed with great scenic beauty
Tibetan Refugee Self Help Centre:
- Tibetan refugee self-help centre was established in 1959.
- This centre produces excellent carpets, woollen goods, wood work, leather work etc.
- 10 kms from Darjeeling city center.
- Three artificial lakes on a 2,487 meters high hill supply water to Darjeeling.
- Popular picnic spot.
- The golf course here is one of the highest in the world.
DARJEELING ATTRACTIONS & ACTIVITIES:
- Darjeeling produces the world’s best premium teas.
- Popularly referred as the “Champagne of the East”
- There are about 86 tea gardens.
- Produce around 25% of India’s total output of tea.
- The Happy Valley Tea Estate produces world’s most expensive and exotically flavoured tea.
- One can witness the famous ‘Orthodox Tea Manufacture’ method of tea processing.
Darjeeling Toy Train:
- The famous Toy Train of Darjeeling is listed among the world Heritage Sites of UNESCO.
- It runs between Siliguri to Darjeeling in 19th century and covering a distance of 83 kms.
- The mini train is a marvel of rail engineering and weaves a magical spell as it passes through the beautiful landscape teeming with tea gardens serpentine streams and excellent viewpoints.
- Ghoom railway station on this track is located at the highest altitude in the country.
- Should atleast take a joy ride on this magnificent train from Darjeeling Station to Ghoom Station.
- There are two ropeway systems at Darjeeling.
- First one is 1,408 meters long, connecting Darjeeling with Bijanbari at the little Rangeet Valley.
- Second one is a bi-cable passenger ropeway that connects Darjeeling’s North Point and Singla covering an aerial distance of 8 kms.
- It is the first bi-cable passenger-carrying ropeway in India and the longest of its kind in Asia.
- Trekking was stated in the Darjeeling Hills almost a century ago.
- First organized trekking route in India was setup here.
- Trek begins in Darjeeling and proceeds through Maneybhanjyang, Tonglu, Sandakphu and ends in Phalut.
- Water Rafting on the river Teesta.
- The banks, surrounding hills, its flora & fauna.
- Water Rafting is often an adventure.
ART & CULTURE:
- Nepalese in Darjeeling are rich in folk culture.
- Most popular Nepali folk dances are Maruni Naach, Dhan Naach, Jhankri Naach, Jatra Naach, Damphu Naach, Khukuri Naach, Deora Naach, Panchay Naach, Dhimay Naach, Sanginy Naach, Balan Naach, Jhyauray Naach, Paschimay Chutki, Rodhighar Naach, Baton Naach, Jhumara Naach and Sakhia Naach.
- The artistic crafts "ornaments, trinkets and handlooms" are worth mentioning.
- Fine craftsmanship in woodwork and bamboo fretwork.
- Utility products are blankets, woollen knitted garments and woven fabrics, the artistic products are handbags, wall panels, fire screens, folding partitions, Bhutan paintings, cotton shoulder bags etc.
Tibetan New Year Festival:
- Celebrate the Loshar Festival in Darjeeling with great flare and festivity.
- Loshar Festival in Darjeeling usually falls in the month of February.
- Most of the monasteries in the area have Cham (Tibetan Dance) during this time.
Dalai Lama Birthday Celebration:
- The people of Darjeeling celebrate the birthday of Dalai Lama during the month of July and August.
- Make this occasion very illustrious with processions.
- Celebrate the Birth anniversary of Lord Buddha.
- Worship in all the major Buddhist shrines such as Tamang Buddhist Monastery, Dali Monastery, Aloobari Monastery etc.
- Large groups of people parade through the streets praising the Lord.
- 52 kms from Darjeeling
- Charming hill resort has some of the best flower and orchid producing nurseries in the country.
- There are three Buddhist monasteries, Mangal Dhaam, Mangal Dasji and St. Theresa’s Church.
- A shopper’s paradise, Tibetan crafts items can be picked up as souvenirs.
- 32 kms from Darjeeling.
- Picturesque town located between Darjeeling and Siliguri.
- The Land of White Orchid.
- There is Forest Museum, Deer Park, mini amusement park and a lovely water reservoir.
- 49 kms from Darjeeling.
- Beautiful hill resort surrounded by tea estates, orange orchards, cardamom plantations.
- Famous for the Sumendu Lake.
- Boating and angling facilities are available here.
- 11 kms drive from Mirik Town.
- Located on the Indo-Nepal border in the Darjeeling District.
- Famous for foreign goods.
- Getaway to the Kingdom of Nepal.
- 70 kms from Darjeeling.
- Surrounded by pine forest.
- Magnificent views of the snow ranges of Mount Kanchenjunga.
- 82 kms from Darjeeling.
- Situated at a height of 3,636 meters.
- Paradise for all adventure lovers.
- Highest trekking point on this hill.
- Only place in the world where you will find a Rhododendron and Silver fir forests.
- Never seen before views of the Himalayan Range.
- 16 kms from Darjeeling, on the way to Mirik.
- Lakes are the main attraction in this place.
- Around lake is beautiful Himalayan Salamander.
- 80 kms from Darjeeling and 32 kms from Kalimpong.
- Famous for the Neora Valley National Park.
- Spectacular view of the Himalayan snow.
- 70 kms from Darjeeling and 56 kms from Kalimpong.
- Panoramic view of the Kanchenjunga.
- Jhandi Dara offers beautiful views at sunrise.
- 32 kms from Kalimpong.
- Deep silent forest of Pines, Rhododendrons and Orchids.
- Views of the vast range of Kanchenjunga and Blue Mountains of Sikkim.
- 15 kms from Darjeeling on the way Ghoom-Mirik road.
- Explore the tranquility of unknown Darjeeling hills.
- Ideal place for honeymooners.
- 101 kms from Darjeeling and 65 kms from Siliguri.
- Especially for wild life sanctuaries.
- Jaldapara, offering memorable elephant rides through rhino and tiger forests.
- Other sanctuaries include Buxa Tiger Project, Gorumara and Chapramari.