- The mythological source of river Yamuna is the first stopover for the Char Dham Yatra.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehra Dun (DED), 196 kms away from Yamunotri town.
- Rail: Dehra Dun Railway Station, Dehra Dun, 172 kms away from Yamunotri town. Rishikesh Railway Station, Rishikesh, 219 kms away from Yamunotri town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Sapta Rishi Kund Hanumanchatti Sayanachatti
Yamunotri Temple Divya Shila Surya Kund Jankichatti
ATTRACTIONS OF YAMUNOTRI
- Yamunotri Temple:
- Temple of Goddess Yamuna was built in 19th century by Maharani Gularia of Jaipur.
- It is set at an altitude of 3,235 metres and is dominated by the towering Banderpoonch Mountain (6,316 metre).
- Temple remains closed from November to April/ May.
- Divya Shila:
- Rock pillar is worshipped before entering the Yamunotri.
- Surya Kund:
- Hot spring here is formed due to volcanic heat.
- Blistering water immediately cooks potatoes and rice tied loosely in a piece of cloth.
- Sapta Rishi Kund:
- It is the original source of river Yamuna.
- To trek upto here is a true test of endurance.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND YAMUNOTRI
- 5 kms away from Yamunotri town and it is a hot springs.
- 13 kms away from Yamunotri town.
- Confluence of Hanuman Ganga and Yamuna Rivers.
- 18 kms away from Yamunotri town.
- Scenic spot on the banks of river Yamuna.