- Holy town of Uttarkashi is set on the banks of river Bhagirathi at an altitude of 1158 metres, on the main route to Gangotri.
- It is considered to have similar religious importance as Kashi.
- Famous Vishwanath temple here is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- In front of the temple is unique Mahadev-Ka-Vishal Trishal or Shiva’s Great Trident, made of eight major metals.
- It is believed Lord Shiva killed Vakasur with this trident.
- Other important temples are dedicated to Lord Parashuram, Lord Ekadash Rudra and Goddess Kali.
- It is an important stopover for pilgrim visiting Gangotri.
- Uttarkashi has also emerged as an important centre for adventure sports.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehra Dun (DED), 162 kms away from Uttarkashi town.
- Rail: Rishikesh Railway Station, Rishikesh, 145 kms away from Uttarkashi town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
ATTRACTIONS AROUND UTTARKASHI
- Dayara Bugyal:
- 28 kms away from Uttarkashi town.
- Bugyal or a “high altitude meadow” at an altitude of 3048 metre affords awe-inspiring view of the Himalayas.
- There is also a small lake here.
- Dodi Tal:
- 32 kms away from Uttarkashi town.
- Beautiful lake in the lap of high mountains is surrounded by the tall majestic oak, deodar and rhododendron trees.
- Lake full of rare fishes like the Himalayan Golden Trouts, locally called as “Dodis” is an angler’s delight.
- The trek for Dodi Tal starts from Kalyani, which is connected by road.
- 39 kms away from Uttarkashi town.
- It lies further up on the way to Gangotri.
- There is a temple dedicated to Sage Parashar.
- Visitors bathe at Rishikund near the shrine in a hot water spring.