- The capital of Uttarakhand sprawls in the foot hill of Himalayas at the centre of the 120 kms long Doon Valley.
- Name Dehradun is literally made up of two words where Dera (Camp) and Dun (Valley).
- The beautiful town referred as the ‘gateway’ to Mussoorie and Garhwal interior is perhaps one of the oldest cities in India.
- It was occupied in turns by the Sikhs, Mughals and Gurkhas before coming under the reigns of the British.
- Elite educational and other institutions were established during the British period.
- Dehradun is today proud of its institutions like the Forest Research Institute, Doon and Welham Schools, ONGC, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Studies, Survey of India and Botanical Survey of India etc.
- Dehradun is also famous for aromatic long grain rice – basmati and delicious lychees.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Jolly Grant Airport (DED), Dehradun, 24 kms away from Dehradun centre of town.
- Rail: Dehradun Railway Station, Dehradun, 1 km away from Dehradun centre of town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
- Assan Barrage
- Gun Hill
- Children’s Lodge
- Camel’s Back Road
- The Jheel
|FORT & MONUMENTS
|PARK & GARDENS
ATTRACTIONS AROUND DEHRADUN
- 40 kms away from Dehradun town.
- Wetland near the confluence of rivers Assan and Yamuna attracts a large number of migratory birds and is an ‘ornithologist’s paradise.
- 35 kms away from Dehradun town.
- The ‘Queen of Hills’ perched at a height of 2000 metres is one of the most popular hill resorts of India.
- It was founded in 1823, by Captain Young, an adventurous British army officer.
- Mussoorie is well connected by road and is the ‘gateway’ to Yamunotri and Gangotri shrines.
- Second highest peak of Mussoorie, had a gun mounted over here, which was fired to herald mid-day.
- A 400 metre long ropeway connects with the Mall to Gun Hill.
- It has a telescope which provides an awe-inspiring view of the Himalayas and Doon valley.
Camel’s Back Road:
- It is a charming pony trek or walk which girdles the northern base of Gun Hill.
- A fine view of sun-set can be enjoyed from here.
- Beautiful garden and scenic picnic spot has an artificial lake with boating facilities.
Nag Devta Temple:
- Ancient temple on Cart Road is 6 kms from the town.
- It is popular among devout followers, who believe that wishes are fulfilled here.
- Fine picnic spot on Dehradun – Mussoorie road.
- Beautiful bungalow surrounded by lush deodar forest was one of the first four building of Mussoorie.
- It has now been converted into a hotel.
- 15 kms away from Dehradun town.
- Picturesque waterfall is a popular attraction of Mussoorie.