- Major Buddhist pilgrim centre is said to be the place where Lord Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana.
- Tathagata, the reciter of truth, breathed his last saying – “Behold now, brethren, I exhort you, saying, decay is inherent in all component things! Work out your salvation with diligence!”
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Gorakhpur Airport, Gorakhpur (GOP), 55 kms away from Kushinagar town.
- Rail: Gorakhpur Railway Station, Gorakhpur, 53 kms away from Kushinagar town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Mahaparinirvana Temple Nirvana Stupa Mata Kunwar Shrine Ramabhar Stupa
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
For more information visit https://kushinagar.nic.in/
ATTRACTIONS OF KUSHINAGAR
- Sacred shrine commemorates the Mahaparinirvana of Lord Buddha.
- It enshrines over 6 metres long statue of reclining Buddha, which was recovered from the site during the excavations of 1876.
- Carved from Chunar sandstone, the statue represents the dying Buddha, relining on his right side.
- An inscription below dates the statue to the 5th century AD and is said to have been brought here from Mathura by a devout monk, Haribala, during the reign of King Kumara Gupta in the 5th century AD.
- This huge 2.74 metres high brick stupa was discovered by Carlyl in 1876.
- A copper vessel unearthed the remains of Lord Buddha.
Mata Kunwar Shrine:
- It contains a 10th century blue schist image of Buddha.
- The 49 feet high stupa marks the site where Lord Buddha was cremated.