ABOUT UDAGAMANDALAM (OOTY):
- The ‘Queen of Hills’ perched at an altitude of 7,500 feet, amidst the verdant Nilgiris or Blue Mountains was first discovered in 1819, by John Sullivan, the then collector of Coimbatore.
- The ambient beauty of Ooty, the most popular hill station of the South, lies in its peaceful ranges surrounded by a misty blue haze.
- The colonial legacy of this British developed hill resort is still reflected in its terraced Botanical Garden, private schools, Ooty club and churches.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Air : The nearest International Airport is Coimbatore(105km) which is well connected with all major cities.
- Rail: Ooty is connected to Mettupalayam by narrow guage Toy Train.
- Road: Ooty is connected by road to several cities.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
PARK & GARDENS
Botanical Gardens Thread Garden Rose Garden
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Govt. Museum The Museum
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
For more information visit https://nilgiris.nic.in/
ATTRACTIONS OF OOTY
- English styled terraced gardens were founded in 1847, by marquis of Tweed-Dale.
- The garden sprawls across an area of about 22 hectares and his the most colourful collection of flora in Southern India.
- There are about 1000 varieties of plants, shrubs and trees.
- Prestigious agro horticultural show, spring flower show and dog show are held here annually during April – May.
- The picturesque lake set amidst the blue hills was built between 1823 and 1825, by John Sullivan
- It has fine boating facilities with row boats, paddle boats and motor boats available on hire.
- The lake garden and toy train rides are other attractions.
- This unique garden full of colourful flowers made from threads is perhaps one of the most amazing sites one could come across.
- It exhibits various tribal objects, representative sculptural arts and crafts of Tamil Nadu and the ecological details of the Nilgiri district.
- The majestic building on the Dodabetta Ridge, near Botanical Garden, was built in 1877, by the Duke of Buckingham.
- The Roman Catholic Church is believed to enshrine a relic of the ‘True Cross’ on which Jesus Christ was crucified.
- The largest Rose Garden of India is perched on the lower slope of Elk Hill at Vijayanagaram Farms.
- It has also become the first rose garden in the country to be recognised as a ‘Garden of Excellence’, by World Federation of Rose Societies.
- It was established in 1989 and exhibits timber, Kurinji flower, insects, butterflies, rock and wood carvings.
- Stone sculptures, bronze works, model of Toda hut and coins can also be seen here.
- The stretch of about 20,000 acres of grassland with Sholas or ‘gallery forest’ on the Gudalur road is about 8 kms from the station.
- It is the most popular picnic spot of the Ooty.
- The undulating landscape is blessed with splendid scenic beauty and rich vegetation.
- Gymkhana Club, the Govt. Sheep Farm and Hindustan Photo Films Company ate located here.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND OOTY
- Mudumulai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mukurthi Peak & National Park
- Nilgiri Railway