- Literally the ‘smoking rock’ in Kannada language, gets the name from the fine spray that rises as the water hits the rocks and gives the illusion of smoke.
- Famous falls at the Tamil Nadu – Karnataka border, amidst scenic surroundings are rated among the most beautiful sites of the South.
- The border gushing stream of river Kaveri split here forming an island, while the main stream channelizes and plunges into a deep chasm, creating one of the most fascinating falls of the country.
- The waters before reaching here, flows through the forests full of herbs and is believed to possess curative powers.
- Thus bathing at the falls is considered to be good for health.
- No visit to Hogenakkal is rendered complete without boating in the little parisals, the saucer-shaped country boats.
- Unique boats take you close to the main falls as well as around the gorge providing an unforgettable experience.
- There are also a number of masseurs, who provide massage with specially formulated ponankanni oil, a mixture of herbs from Thiruvarur hills.
- Best time to visit the falls is during the monsoons.
- Rugged mountainous are around the falls is also considered to be a ‘trekker’s paradise’.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Kempegowda International Airport, Bangalore (BLR), 130 kms away from Hogenakkal.
- Rail: Dharmapuri Railway Station, Dharmapuri, 47 kms away from Hogenakkal. Salem Railway Station, Salem, 114 kms away from Hogenakkal.
- Road: Well connected by road.
For more information visit https://dharmapuri.nic.in/tourist-place/hogenakkal-falls/