- Coimbatore (Kovai), one of the fastest growing cities in India lies on the banks of the river Noyyal in the foot hills of Nilgiris.
- It has emerged as a major industrial centre of the South with over 50,000 small, medium and large industries and textile mills.
- First textile mill of Coimbatore was setup way back in 1888 and is now known as the “Textile Capital” or the “Manchester” of South.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Coimbatore International Airport, Coimbatore (CJB), 10 kms away from Coimbatore city centre.
- Rail: Coimbatore Railway Station, Coimbatore, 2.5 kms away from Coimbatore city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Marudhamalai Temple Perur Temple
PARK & GARDENS
V O C Park
Annamalai/ Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary
Agricultural University Forest College
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Pongal Festival
- Tahipoosam and Thirukarthigai Festival
- Sri Koniamman temple Festival
- Panguni Uthiram Festival
- Aranganathar TempleFestival
- Anthoniar Church Festival
- Lord Jagannath Festival
For more information visit https://coimbatore.nic.in/tourism/
ATTRACTIONS OF COIMBATORE
- It is one of the finest institutions of its kind in entire South Asia.
V O C Park:
- The well laid out Corporation Park also has a mini-zoo and a toy train.
- It imparts training to the Forest Rangers and is one of the oldest institutions of its kind in the country.
- The museum here is worth visiting.
- The sacred shrine atop a hill is dedicated to Lord Subramanya.
- It is one of the most popular temples of the region.
- The shrine dedicated to Lord Patteeswarar and his consort Pachainayaki is said to be built by Karikal Cholan about 1500 years ago.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND COIMBATORE
Annamalai/ Indira Gandhi Wildlife Sanctuary:
- 65 kms away from Coimbatore city.
- This paradise for wildlife lovers is set at an altitude of 1,400 metres amidst the verdant Western Ghats.
- Sanctuary is famous for its lion tailed macaque and Nilgiri langur.
- Other key fauna includes – elephant, gaur, tiger, panther, sloth bear, deer, flying squirrel, jackal, pangolin, civet etc.
- Birds like rocket-tailed drongo, re-whiskered bulbul, black headed oriole, tree pie, spotted dove, green pigeon etc.
- Amaravathy Reservoir in are, Karainshola, Anaikunthi shola, grass hills, water falls, groves, teak forests, estates, dams and reservoirs, which are noted for their scenic splendour.
- Bet time to visit February to June.
- It is yet another splendid site in the Annamalai Hills, just 60 kms away from Coimbatore and 37 kms away from Pollachi.
- It is endowed with splendid scenic beauty and is a popular picnic spot.
- Tourists are taken around the sanctuary on elephant back or by van.