- Literally meaning a ‘High Hill’ is a charming hill resort perched on a ridge at a height of 5,500 feet.
- The capital city of Sikkim.
- A cosmopolitan town which offers the tourist all possible amenities
- Magnificent views of the snow clad Kanchenjunga peak.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport : Bagdogra Airport (IXB), 123Kms away from Gangtok, Sikkim
- Rail : New Jalpaiguri railway station in Siliguri
- Road : Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Dodrul Chorten (Stupa) Tsuklakhang (Palace Monastery)
Govt. Cottage Industries Institute Research Institute of Tibetology
Orchid Sanctuary Permanent Flower Show Hall M G Marg
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- International Flower Festival
- Losoong Festival
- Bumchu Festival
- Maghey Sankranti Mela
- Sonam Lhochhar Festival
For more information visit https://www.sikkimtourism.gov.in/
Govt. Cottage Industries Institute:
- Women weaving Colourful woollen carpets, shawls and blankets.
- Men carving beautiful, multi-hued wooden tables called as ‘Choktses’ can been seen here.
- Exquisite handloom and handicrafts items can also be purchased here.
Research Institute of Tibetology:
- World-renowned centre for Buddhist philosophy and religion.
- A rich collection of Tibetan Books, over 200 icons, tangkha tapestries.
- Many rare objects of Buddhist art.
Dodrul Chorten (Stupa):
- Built in 1945, by the Ven Trulshi Rinpoche to invoke the gods to keep peace and tranquility in the state.
- Beautiful structure rises like a great white bell surmounted by a golden pinnacle.
- Houses of holy books, relics, mantras and other objects of religious importance.
- Sanctuary houses over 250 species of exotic orchids.
- Blooming season of orchids is from April-May, July-August and December-January.
Tsuklakhang (Palace Monastery):
- Monastery built in traditional Sikkimese style.
- Most accessible monastery from Gangtok.
- It is known for numerous festivals and grand ceremonies.
Permanent Flower Show Hall:
- Located near the White Memorial Hall.
- Flower shows and exhibitions held here round the year and very popular.
M G Marg:
- Main Street of Gangtok town.
- Country's first litter and spit free zone.
- No vehicular traffic is allowed into the Marg.
- Shops on both sides of the road.
- Gangtok Food and Culture festival held in month of December.
AROUND GANGTOK (EAST SIKKIM):
- 3 kms from Gangtok city center.
- 200 year old monastery built by the Nyingmapa sect of the Buddhist monks.
- A conifer covered ridge festooned with prayer flags.
- Chaam or religious masked dance is held here during month of January.
- 7 kms from Gangtok city center on Gangtok-Nathula Road.
- Small temple of Lord Ganesha set on a hillock.
- Affords a fine view of Gangtok and the peaks of Mt. Kanchenjunga and Mt. Siniolchu.
- 11 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Shrine of Lord Hanuman.
- Known for panoramic view of Gangtok and snow clad peak of Mt. Kanchenjunga.
- 6 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Home to the Himalaya spotted and musk deer.
- Scenic view of mountains and valleys can also be enjoyed from here.
Tashi View Point:
- 9 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Interesting picnic spot.
- Famous for the fine view of Kanchenjunga peak.
- 14 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Botanical Garden noted for rich variety of orchids.
- Rare tropical and temperate plants are an excellent recreation.
- 24 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Seat of His Holiness the Gyalwa Karmapa of the Kargyu sect of Buddhism.
- Largest Monastery in Sikkim.
- Buddhist religious art objects found in the world.
- A world renowned centre for Kargyu teachings.
- 38 kms from Gangtok city center and at an altitude of 12,400 feet.
- Lake is almost about 1 Km long, 15 meters deep.
- Oval-shaped holy lake is noted for its mystical environs and the wild flowers.
- Lake is considered sacred by the local people.
- Lake looks different at different seasons.
- Home of the Brahmini ducks and a stopover for many migratory birds.
- Colourfully decorated yaks for rides in lake side.
- 50 kms from Gangtok city center and 12 kms from Tsomgo Lake.
- Sepoy Harbhajan Singh of the 23rd Punjab Regiment went missing while leading a pack in 35 year back.
- A shrine be built in his memory and the name is Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir.
- Temple is believed to have wish-fulfilling powers.
- 56 kms from Gangtok city center and 14,450 feet altitude, the road through the Tsomgo Lake.
- One of the highest motorable roads in the world and surrounded by alpine flora.
- Nathula Pass is basically India-Chain border.
- International border from where you can see Chinese Soldiers.
- 115 kms from Gangtok city center.
- A breathtaking view of Kanchenjunga and many natural riches.
- Lampokari Lake surrounded by lush greenery.
- Aritar Gumpa is one of the oldest monasteries in Sikkim.
- Adventurous, there is short trek, rock climbing and paragliding.
Banjhakri Water Falls & Park:
- 9 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Flora and natural beauty.
- One can marvel at the view of the falls.
Bakthang Water Falls:
- 10 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Water Falls view.
- Main water source of Gangtok area.
Nehru Botanical Garden:
- 25 kms from Gangtok city center, just ahead of the Rumtek Monastery.
- A mix tropical temperate plant and trees as well as a big greenhouse exotic orchid.
- There is a small playground with swings.
Fambong Lho Wildlife Sanctuary:
- 25 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Various species of wild animals and birds.
- A large number of wild orchids, rhododendrons etc.
- Cable car ride is available Secretariat to Nam-Nang.
- Enjoy the panoramic view and thrilling rise.
- 10 kms from Gangtok city center, near to Tashi View Point.
- Founder is H.E. Tingkye Gonjang Rimpoche.
- Monastery follows Jangter tradition of Nyingmapa school of Tibetan Buddhism.
Himalayan Zoological Park:
- 8 kms from Gangtok city center, just above Ganesh Tok.
- A number of animals living in their natural habitat.
- Might see the Red Panda, Sikkim’s sate animal, barking deer, Tibetan wolves, panthers, civet cats or Himalayan Black Bear.
Pal Zurmang Kagyud Monastery:
- 20 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Visiting for its religious and exquisite architecture.
- 5 kms from Gangtok city center on beautiful hill top.
- Only monastery of the sakya Order of Tibetans Buddhism in Sikkim.
Sikkim Science Center:
- Unique Humankind Gallery
- Fun Science Gallery
- Children’s Corner
- Activities for students
- Science Park
- Various educational activities
AROUND GANGTOK (NORTH SIKKIM):
- 67 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Small town and headquarters of North District.
- A transit point to other destinations of the region.
- Small town on the way to Yumthang.
- The confluence if the rivers Lachen Chu and Lachung Chu.
- From here one road leading to Lachen and another to Lachung.
- The alpine regions of Lachen, Lachung and Yumthang Valley.
- 70 kms from Gangtok city center.
- Bordering the Kanchenjungha Biosphere Reserve.
- 5 kms ahead of Dzongu is the Sven Sisters waterfall.
- Seven Sisters waterfalls falling down from dense forests.
- A mountain village, 8,610 feet altitude.
- Embraced by snowcapped mountain peaks.
- Lachung is famous from apples, peaches and apricots.
- One Monastery is there that is Lachung Gompa.
- 148 kms from Gangtok and 11,800 feet altitude.
- Popularly known as valley of flowers.
- A paradise for nature lovers.
- Spring season, wild flowers such as primulas and Rhododendrons bathe the landscape in rich colours, making it a tourist hot spot.
- Further up at a distance of 16 kms Yumesamdong (Zero Point) and 16,000 feet altitude.
Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary:
- Known for its abundance of Rhododendron shrubs and trees.
- Rich in ground flora and other vegetation as well.
- Here has 24 species of Rhododendron flowers which bloom from April to May end.
- 8,500 feet altitude.
- Starting point of most interesting treks in North Sikkim.
- Gateway to the holy Gurudongmar and Tso Lhamu lakes.
- Simple village life of the ‘Lachenpas’.
- 190 kms from Gangtok and 17,800 feet altitude.
- Most sacred lakes by the Buddhists and Hindus.
- Lake used to remain frozen most of the year.
- 13,500 feet altitude.
- A small village on the way to Gurudongmar Lake and Cho Lhamu (source of River Teesta).
- Located around 4 kms away from Mangan.
- Most magnificent view of Mt. Kanchenjungha and Mt. Siniolchu.
- Surrounded by lush green hills and Teesta River flowing below it.
- 38 kms from Gangtok on the North Sikkim Highway.
- Phodong Monastery with old mural paintings and frescoes were preserved.
- Phensang Monastery was built by Lama Jigme Pawo in 1721.
- Labrang Monastery is famous for architectural style.
- Between Phodong and Labrang Monastery is Tumlong, third capital of Sikkim.
- 20 kms from Gangtok, on way to North Sikkim.
- A sacred grove rich with medicinal plants.
Seven Sisters Waterfalls:
- 32 kms from Gangtok on the way to North Sikkim.
- Must see picturesque beauty of nature.
AROUND GANGTOK (WEST SIKKIM):
- 4 hours drive from Pelling and a picturesque village.
- Famous for variety of flowers and birds.
- A treakking route from Soreng to Dzongri.
- 10,000 feet altitude.
- Singalila National Park in south and Kanchenjungha Biosphere Reserve in north.
- Wide variety of bio-diversity.
- Main attractions of Rhododendron Sanctuary are the rhododendrons which bloom in April-May.
- 10 kms from Varsey.
- Surrounded by forest of rhododendrons.
- Ideal place for bird watchers and nature lovers.
- 3,700 feet altitude and 112 kms from Gangtok.
- Close to Indo-Nepal border.
- Ideal place for Bird Watching.
- Major town on the trek route of Varsey.
- 10 kms from Pelling.
- Transit point to various tourist destinations of the region.
- Gyalshing Bazar is one of the oldest market if the region.
- Gateway of West Sikkim.
- White water rafting and boating facilities at the Rangit Dam.
- Shiva Mandir is situated on the banks of beautiful Rangit River.
- Small village on a hilltop near Pelling.
- Tashiding monastery is highly revered among the Sikkim peoples.
- Orange’s orchards and cardamoms plantations around Tashiding.
- 6,600 feet altitude near to Pelling.
- On the way pass Singsor Bridge, second highest hanging bridge in Asia.
- Famous for natural beauty and beautiful view to the Himalayan Mountains.
- 5,576 kms altitude.
- Famous for beautiful view of the Kanchenjunga range of mountains.
- Natural beauty of the surroundings.
- 33 kms from Pelling.
- Gateway of Kanchenjungha Biosphere.
- 2 kms uphill from Yuksam.
- Surrounded by verdant forest.
- Visited only by trekking through steep slopes for about half an hours.
- Ideal place for meditation.
- 25 kms from Pelling.
- One of the sacred lakes of the State.
- Hidden under the rich forest cover.
- Trekker's hut and Pilgrim hut is available.
- Located between Yuksam and Gerethang.
- Highest waterfall of West Sikkim.
- Magnificent scenario especially during monsoons.
- Famous for most holy Chorten known as ‘Thong-WaRang-Dol’
- Sacred water festival unique to this monastery only.
- 125 kms from Gangtok.
- Second biggest tourist destination in the state after Gangtok.
- Offers Kanchenjungha views and access point of this range tourist spots.
- Perfect for nice nature.
- Every year held Kanchenjungha festival with cultural folk dance and music.
25 kms from Pelling.