- Beautiful town nestled in a verdant valley.
- Surrounded by the Aravali hills on three sides.
- Enclosed by huge walls with four gateways.
- A picturesque lake in the centre adds to the beauty of Bundi.
- A medieval fortress stands sentinel to this city – a mute witness to history and time.
- Within the ramparts are majestic palaces, havelis, temples and intricately carved cenotaphs.
- Bundi is also very well known for its exquisite paintings and murals.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Sanganer Airport, Jaipur (JAI), 215 kms away from Bundi.
- Rail: Kota Railway Station, Kota, 35 kms away from Bundi.
- Road: Well connected by road. 36 kms from Kota.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
Bundi Durg or Taragarh Garh Palace Chhatra Mahal Raniji-Ki-Baori Sukh Mahal Phool Sagar Shikar Burj Eighty Four Pillared Cenotaph
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Nawal Sagar Jait Sagar Lake
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
For more information visit https://bundi.rajasthan.gov.in/
ATTRACTIONS OF BUNDI
Bundi Durg or Taragarh:
- White coloured ‘Star Fort’ atop a thickly wooded hill.
- Built in 1411, by Rao Raja Bar Singh.
- There are several interesting monuments.
- A huge reservoir within the fort.
- Palace set elegantly down the hillside and is one of the finest examples of Rajput architecture.
- Approached by a steep, paved carriage way, through the Hazari Pol or the ‘Gate of the Thousand’.
- Naubat Khana and the Hathi Pol are some of the places of interest inside the palace.
- Built by Maharao Shatrusal Singh Ji.
- Famous for its murals in the miniature style.
- Beautiful small pool and ‘Hathiya Sal’ (each pillar with four wooden elephants) are also notable.
- Phool Mahal and Badal Mahal are worth visiting for their paintings.
- Prior permission of the secretary at Motimahal is required for the visit.
- The walls of this famous arcaded gallery are adorned with elaborate paintings depicting scenes from the ‘Ragmala’ and ‘Raslila’.
- It is a must visit site.
- Serene square shaped artificial lake is interspersed by islets.
- A temple of Varuna (God of the Wind) stands half submerged in the middle of the lake.
- 46 mts. Deep step well (Baori) outside the city walls has high arched gate and carved pillars.
- Beautiful murals adorn its pillars, torans and gates.
- Summer palace surrounded by a garden.
- Built during the reign of Rao Raja Vishnu Singh on the banks of Sukh Lake.
Jait Sagar Lake:
- Pristine lake nestled amidst lush hills was built by Jaita Meena.
- Fleeting fountain in the lake is quite spectacular at night.
- Terrace gardens and Smriti Kunj are the other attractions around the lake.
- 20th century palace graced by formal gardens.
- Artificial tank is the residence of the erstwhile ruler.
- Royal hunting lodge amid lush woods is a beautiful picnic spot.
- Ancient garden near the Shikar Burj cenotaphs of the Bundi royal family.
- Cenotaphs are noted for their rich architectural splendour.
Eighty Four Pillared Cenotaph:
- Majestic memorial was built by Rao Raja Anirudh in the memory of his foster brother.
- Cenotaph with 84 pillars along with a ‘Shivlings’ is an architectural marvel.