- A beacon of rich culture and heritage amidst harsh desert surroundings.
- Founded in 1488, by the Rathore Prince, Bika, the son of Rao Jodha of Marwar.
- Located directly on the ancient caravan routes, which linked West/ Central Asia.
- City studded with forts, palaces.
- Mansion was once surrounded by a 7 kms embattled wall with five gateways.
- Today, Bikaner is also famous for its delicacies like bhujias, papads and rasgillas.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Jodhpur Airport (JDH), Jodhpur, 243 kms away from Bikaner city.
- Rail: Bikaner Railway Station, Bikaner, 1 km away from Bikaner city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
Junagarh Fort Lalgarh Palace Havelis Gajner Palace
Bhandeshwar Jain Temple Raj Ratan Bihari & Rasik Siromani Temple Shiv Bari Temple Deshnok Kolyat
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Rajasthan State Archives Ganga Government Museum
Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary
Devi Kund Camel Research Farm Katariasar Village
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Camel Fair
- Kapil Munni
- Karni Mata Fair
- Gangaur Festival
For more information visit https://bikaner.rajasthan.gov.in/
ATTRACTIONS OF BIKANER
- Impregnable fort built by Raja Rai Singh in 1593.
- Encircled by a moat and have many palaces, pavilions and temples.
- Suraj Pol or ‘Sun Gate’ is the main entrance to the fort.
- Within the ramparts are fine monuments like, Anup Mahal, Ganga Niwas, Rang Mahal, Har Mandir, Chandra Mahal, Durbar Hall, Gaj Mandir and Sheesh Mahal etc.
- Fort has an excellent museum.
- Magnificent red sandstone palace.
- Built by Maharaja Ganga Singh, in memory of his father Maharaja Lal Singh.
- It has been converted into a luxury hotel.
- Sri Sadul Museum is housed in one part of the palace.
Rajasthan State Archives:
- Department is internationally acclaimed for its rich collection of administrative records of the Mughal period.
- Created during the administration of the princely States of Rajasthan.
Ganga Government Museum:
- One of the best museums in the state.
- Rich treasure of antiquities from Harappan civilisation, Gupta and Kushan era etc.
Bhandeshwar Jain Temple:
- 15th century shrine is the oldest existing monument of Bikaner.
- It is adorned with rich mirror work, décor, frescoes, and gold leaf paintings.
Raj Ratan Bihari & Rasik Siromani Temple:
- 19th century palatial shrine within Ratan Bihari Park.
- Built by Ratan Singhji and Sardar Singhji.
- Bikaner is also known for its ornately carved red sandstone havelis.
- Mansions belonging to reputed business houses of the region.
Shiv Bari Temple:
- 6 kms away from Bikaner city centre.
- 19th century Shiva temple was built by Maharaja Doongar Singhji.
- Fortified with high walls and has beautiful paintings.
- 8 kms away from Bikaner city centre.
- It is the crematorium of the royal family.
- Graceful white marble Chhatri (cenotaph) of Maharaja Surat Singh is a fine piece of architecture.
Camel Research Farm:
- 8 kms away from Bikaner city centre.
- The farm is only one of its kinds in entire Asia.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND BIKANER
- Small town on the road to Jodhpur, 30 kms from Bikaner city.
- Known for the unique shrine of Goddess Karni Mata.
- Shrine is famous for the rats, which are venerated over here.
- Built by the great Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner on the embankment of a lake.
- Hunting and relaxing lodge, the maharaja and the family.
- Around the palace is a thick forestation.
- Has been converted into the hotel.
- Located 50 kms away from Bikaner city.
- Temple complex of Kolyat and a holy place of pilgrimage for Hindus.
- Complex has several temples, pavilions and bathing ghats.
- Dip in the holy waters of the lake especially on Kartik Poornima (November).
- Located on the Jaipur Road, 45 kms away from Bikaner city.
- Rich in ethnic rural and cultural life of the village.
- Walk on the sand dunes is enjoyable.
- Viewing the sun set with a desert landscape is heavenly.
Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary:
- On the Jaisalmer road, 32 kms from Bikaner city.
- Inhabited animals like nilgai, chinkara, black buck, wild boar, flocks etc.
- Many more migratory birds can find here.
- It can be visited by jeeps.