- It was founded in 1753, by Maharaja Ala Ssingh and named Patiala, literally the territory (pati) of Ala.
- In 1948, it became the capital of a new state, PEPSU (Patiala and East Punjab States Union), created by merging the princely states of East Punjab.
- Rulers of Patiala were great patrons of art and crafts, which made the city an important centre of Punjabi language and culture.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Chandigarh Airport, Chandigarh (IXC), 66 kms away from Patiala town.
- Rail: Patiala Railway Station, Patiala, 3.5 kms away from centre of Patiala town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
Qila Mubarak Moti Bagh Palace Sheesh Mahal Bhadurgarh Fort
Kali Devi Temple Gurudwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib
PARK & GARDEN
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Craft Mela
- Patiala Heritage festival
For more information visit https://patiala.nic.in/tourism/
ATTRACTIONS OF PATIALA
- Fort in the heart of the town was built in 1764, by Maharaja Ala Singh at the site of a kuchi-garhi.
- The royal family also resided here and the residential area was known as ‘Qila Androon’ or the Inner Fort.
- Palaces are adorned with fine murals painted by artists from Kangra and Rajasthan.
- Durbar Hall, to the right of the entrance was built later and is noted for its beautifully ornament ceiling and fine murals.
- It houses a museum displaying a historic collection of weapons.
- Bustling bazar around the fort is a treasure – trove for shoppers.
- Shopping list comprises of specialities of Patiala – exquisitely embroidered leather shoes (jutties), tasselled silken braid (pirandis) and brightly embroidered phulkari fabrics etc.
Moti Bagh Palace:
- Magnificent palace in Indo-Saracenic style was completed in early 20th century and is one of the largest residences in Asia.
- It is surrounded by beautiful terraced gardens and water channels.
- Main palace now houses the National Institute of Sports and Sports Museum.
- Charming palace near a small lake was built during the reign of Maharaja Narinder Singh (1845-1862).
- Its interiors are beautifully embellished with pieces of glass and mirror (sheesh).
- An Art Gallery here displays antique paintings, bronzes, sculptures and portraits of the Maharajas of Patiala.
- World’s largest collection of medals, decoration and orders of various countries are exhibited here.
- Graceful garden was laid-out in the late 19th century, by Prince Rajinder Singh.
- It also has a rock garden and a fern house.
Kali Devi Temple:
- Located opposite Baradari garden on the Mall Road.
- Painted chamber of the shrine is a protected monument.
Gurudwara Dukh Niwaran Sahib:
- Famous Gurudwara marks the site, where Guru Teg Bahadur Ji rested on his way to Delhi to embrace martyrdom.
- 6 kms away from Patiala town.
- It was originally founded in 1658, by Nawab Saif Khan.
- Present structure was built by Maharaja Karam Singh of Patiala in 1837.