ABOUT ANANDPUR SAHIB:
- The ‘City of Bliss’ set on the left bank of the river Sutlej with Naina Devi mountain in its backdrop is a major Sikh pilgrim centre.
- It was founded in 1665, by Guru Tegh Bahadurji, near the ruins of an ancient place called Makhowal.
- Guru Gobind Singh ji, the tenth Sikh Guru (1666 – 1708), spent about 25 years of his life over here and under him the town attained great importance.
- The annual Sikh festival of Hola Mohalla is the main event of Anandpur Sahib.
- Highlight of the celebrations is the spectacular display of martial traditions by Nihangs.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Chandigarh Airport, Chandigarh (IXC), 83 kms away from Anandpur Sahib town.
- Rail: Anandpur Sahib Railway Station, Anandpur Sahib, 1 km away from centre of Anandpur town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Gurudwara Keshgarh Sahib Gurudwara Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (Sis Ganj) Gurudwara Anandgarh Sahib Kiratpur Sahib
ATTRACTIONS OF ANANDPUR SAHIB
- Gurudwara Keshgarh Sahib:
- On the auspicious day of Baisakhi (13th April, 1699), Guru Gobind Singh ji, founded the ‘Khalsa’ or the ‘Army of Pure’ over here.
- He baptised the first five Sikh volunteers to help him defend the faith and called them the ‘Panj Piare’ or the five beloved ones.
- The magnificent Gurudwara is one of the Panj or five Takhts of Sikh faith.
- It also enshrines 12 weapons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
- Gurudwara Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji (Sis Ganj):
- Hallowed head of Guru Tegh Bahadur ji was cremated here with full rituals on 16th November 1675.
- He was executed by the Mughals at Delhi and the head was brought here by Bhai Jaita.
- Gurudwara Anandgarh Sahib:
- It was the fort and residence of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
- The daily light and sound show held in the evening depicts scenes from the lives and the times of the Sikh Gurus.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND ANANDPUR SAHIB
- Kiratpur Sahib:
- 11 kms away from Anandpur Sahib town.
- Sacred city was founded in 1627, by Sri Hargobindji, the sixth Sikh Guru.
- It is also associated with Pir Budhan Shah, a Muslim saint known for his very long life.
- Sri Hargobind, Sri Har Rai and Sri Har Kishan, the three Sikh Guru were cremated here.
- Bhakara Dam:
- 35 kms away from Anandpur Sahib town.
- It is considered to be the world’s highest straight gravity concrete dam.
- A large number of tourists visit the dam site, the huge reservoir named Gobind Sagar reservoir and well laid-out gardens nearby.