- Small sea side town was an important ancient port.
- Now world renowned for the majestic Sun Temple – a World Heritage Site of UNESCO.
- A charming beach.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport : Biju Patnaik International Airport (BBI), 65 kms distance from Konark.
- Rail : Puri Railway Station, 35 kms distance from Konark.
- Road : Well connected with road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Museum of Archaeologies Survey of India
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Konark Dance Festival
- Magha Saptami
For more information visit https://www.odishatourism.gov.in/content/tourism/en/discover/attractions/temples-monuments/konark.html
ATTRACTIONS OF KONARK
- Magnificent shrine built by Ganga King Narisimha Deve in 1278.
- Shape of a colossal chariot, carrying the sun god, Surya, across the heavens.
- One of the most stunning monuments of religious architecture in the world.
- Museum of Archaeologies Survey of India.
- Present museum is located little away from the main temple in the north direction.
- Exhibits sculptures and carvings recovered from the Sun Temple.
- Close to the famous Sun Temple of Konark.
- One of the most attractive beaches of the country.
- Beach has religious significance, during the seventh day of Magha (February).
- At the beach for seven days a fair is held in honor of the Sun God.
HANDICRAFTS OF THE REGION
- Famous for handicrafts known as “Applique Work”.
- Beautiful bedspreads, cushion covers, bags, wall hangings, umbrellas etc. are prepared using this art work.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND KONARK
- 30 kms from Konark.
- Shrines of Amareswar, Laxminarayan and Barahi at Chaurasi.
- Barahi Devi is regarded as the Mother of Goddess and is said to have worshipped according to tantric practices.
- Temple is lavishly decorated with sculptural motifs and scroll work.
- Situated 7 km from Konark on the Marine Drive.
- Place is ideal for week-end picnic.