ABOUT IMPHAL WEST:
- Beautiful capital city nestling in the heart of Manipur.
- Main rivers that can be seen draining the West Imphal are Imphal River, Nambul River and its tributaries.
- West Imphal has its own natural beauty and valley region.
- Rich heritage and culture traditions and is emerging as important tourist destination of region.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Imphal Airport (IMF), 4 kms distance from Imphal West.
- Rail: Dimapur Railway Station 215 kms and Jiribam Railway Station 225 kms from Imphal West.
- Road: Well connected with NH 39 and NH 53.
ATTRACTIONS OF IMPHAL WEST
- Manipur State Museum:
- Located near the Polo Ground.
- A good collection of art, archaeology, natural history, geology, textiles, costumes etc.
- Saheed Minar:
- A symbol of sacrifice located in the capital city of Imphal.
- Memorial pillar is located at the Bir Tikendrajit Park in the centre of the town.
- Built in the memory of the indomitable spirit of the Meitei.
- Tribal martyrs who laid their lives while fighting the British in 1891.
- Zoological Garden:
- The zoo at Iroishemba on the Imphal Kangchup Road, 6 kms from Imphal West.
- Famous for the endangered Sangai or brow-antlered deer in the world.
- Khonghampat Orchidarium:
- It sprawls over an area of 200 acres along with the NH 39, 10 kms from Imphal West.
- Treasures the spectacular wealth of Manipur orchids.
- 110 rare varieties of orchids which are bloom in March-April.
- 8 kms from Imphal West.
- Historic site on a hill overlooking the Manipur University teems with relics of a palace, ceremonial houses and temples.
- IMA Market or Khwairanband Bazar:
- Unique shopping mall is the largest exclusive women’s market.
- There are over 3,000 Imas (mothers), who run the stalls located on either side of the road.
- It is an excellent place to buy exquisite handloom and handicraft goods, as well as fresh fruits vegetables, fish and other grocery items.
- Nupi Lal Complex:
- Nupee Lal (women's war) Memorial near the Imphal Head Post Office.
- Showed a great deal of courage while fighting against the British on 12th December 1939.