- Picturesque town on the Tiddim Road.
- Its name from an ancient Vishnu Temple located in the town.
- It was once the capital of the kingdom of Manipur.
- One of the sites of the World War II where fierce fighting’s took place.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Imphal Airport (IMF), 22 kms distance from Bishnupur.
- Rail: Dimapur Railway Station 238 kms from Bishnupur.
- Road: Well connected with NH 39.
ATTRACTIONS OF BISHNUPUR
- Vishnu Temple:
- It situated in Bishnupur town.
- Vishnu temple built in 1467, during the reign of King Kiyamba.
- Very thin bricks have been used in the construction of the shrine, which is said to be influenced by the Chinese.
- Sendra Island:
- Sendra Island in the heart of the Loktak Lake has a tourist home.
- Affords a fine view of the lake.
A beautiful view of the Loktak Lake.
These islands can be reached through boat.
Many water sports facilities are available.
- Loktak Lake:
- Lovely fresh water lake, 45 kms from Imphal.
- Biggest and one of the most enchanting lakes of the North-East.
- It is virtually an inland sea and covers an area of about 312 sq. kms.
- During the monsoons and even during the driest period it extends upto 104 sq. kms.
- Lake has shallow bowl shaped islands of floating weeds called as ‘Phumdi’ where fishermen live and use nets to farm fish and water chestnuts.
- Paradise of nature lovers and wildlife enthusiasts has a rich variety of flora and fauna.
- Keibul Lamjao National Park:
- The world’s only floating National Park.
- It is the natural habitat of the rare Sangai, the dancing deer.
- Best season to visit the park is December – May.
- Red Hill (India Peace Memorial):
- A hillock on Tiddim Road, 17 Kms from Imphal.
- Japanese war veterans constructed a monument at the foot of this hill.
- It was significantly named “India Peace Memorial”
- Loukoipat is an ecological park with natural beauty of Manipur.
- Lake surrounding is lush greenery with rich flora.
- Boating facility is available in the lake.
- Early Meitei cultural centre on the western fringe of Loktak Lake.
- An ancient temple of the forest god, Thangjing.
- The Lai Haraoba ritual dance festival is held here in May in honour of the deity.
- There is an INA Memorial and Museum.