- The world Heritage Site is situated with ornately carved shrines built by the Chandelas.
- Over 85 temples were built between 950-1050 AD, in a truly inspired burst of creativity.
- Today, only 22 temples have survived, which constitute one of the world’s great artistic wonders.
- Each shrine stands on a high, masonry platform , with a marked upward direction in the structure, further enhanced by vertical projections to create the effect of grace and lightness.
- Temple walls are embellished with exquisite stone carvings which portray every facet and mood of life, from the erotic to the divine, the commonplace to the shrine.
- Temples are geographically divided into three groups – western, eastern and southern.
- Western Group –
- Kandariya Mahadeo, the largest and most typical temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Chaunsath Yogini is the only granite temple and the oldest surviving shrine of the group.
- Other important shrines in the western group are Vishwanath, Lakshmana, Varah and Matangeswara etc.
- Eastern Group –
- Parsvanath Temple, Ghantai Temple, Adinath Temple.
- Southern Group –
- Duladeo Temple, Chaturbhuj Temple etc.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Khajuraho Airport, Khajuraho (HJR), 6 kms away from Khajuraho city centre.
- Rail: Harpalpur Railway Station, Harpalpur, 99 kms away from Khajuraho. Satna Railway Station, Satna, 120 kms away from Khajuraho. Jhansi Railway Station, Jhansi, 175 kms away from Khajuraho.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
State Museum of Tribal & Folk Art
Panna National Park
Sound & Light Show
ATTRACTIONS OF KHAJURAHO
- Sound & Light Show:
- Spectacular show held at the western group of temples, narrates the life and times of Chandela kings.
- State Museum of Tribal & Folk Art:
- A rich collection of tribal and arts and artefacts are exhibited at the Chandela Cultural Complex.
- State Museum displays items of terracottas, metal craft, woodcraft, tribal artefacts etc.
- Khajuraho Dance Festival:
- Festival of classical dance is celebrated in February/ March.
- Eminent dancers perform against the backdrop of floodlit temple.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND KHAJURAHO
- Panna National Park:
- 32 kms away from Khajuraho.
- Jungles spread along river Ken amidst Vindhya ranges are home to some of the best wildlife species in India.
- Panna National Reserve was created in 1981 and declared a Project Tiger Reserve in 1944.
- Most famous inhabitants are wild cats as well as deer and elephant.
- Other animals seen here are – wild dog, hyena, sloth bear, crocodile etc.
- Best time to visit November to February.