- ‘The hill of many wonders’, a legendary Hindu pilgrim centre is set picturesquely in the northern spurs of the Vindhyas.
- Legend has it that Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh took their incarnations on the sacred soil of Chitrakoot.
- Lord Rama and Sita are believed to have spent eleven of their fourteen years of exile in its peaceful forests.
- Great sage Atri and Sati Anusuya meditated here and poet Tulsides came to Chitrakoot in search of spiritual solace.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Khajuraho Airport, Khajuraho (HJR), 175 kms away from Chitrakoot.
- Rail: Chitrakoot Dham Railway Station, Chitrakoot Dham, 11 kms away from Chitrakoot town. Satna Railway Station, Satna, 78 kms away from Chitrakoot town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Shrawan Jhoola Mela
- Amavasya Fair
- Ramnavami, Diwali
For more information visit https://chitrakoot.nic.in/festivals/
ATTRACTIONS OF CHITRAKOOT
- Ghats that line the banks of the river Mandakini reveal a constantly moving and changing kaleidoscope of religious activity.
- Rippling blue-green waters of the Mandakini can be traversed by boats, readily available for hire.