WAYANAD (WILDLIFE SANCTUARY)
ABOUT WAYANAD (WILDLIFE SANCTUARY):
- An integral part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
- It was established in 1973 and covers an area of 344 sq. kms.
- Bordering the famous Mudumalai Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu and Nagarhole and Bandipur Sanctuaries in Karnataka.
- Key fauna includes elephant, spotted deer, gaur, sloth bear and a large variety of birds and reptiles.
- Best season to visit the sanctuary is from December to April.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Calicut International Airport, Calicut (CCJ), 108 kms away from Wayanad town.
- Rail: Calicut Railway Station, Calicut, 88 kms away from Wayanad town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
ATTRACTIONS AROUND WAYANAD
- Sultan’s Bathery:
- 31 kms away from Wayanad town.
- Hill station and historical centre is noted for its 18th century fort built by Tipu Sultan.
- Famous Panamarram fort here played an important role during the Pazhassi Rebellion.