- Picturesque Palakkad, set in the foot of Western Ghats is the ‘Gateway to Kerala’ from the north.
- Played a significant role in the cultural history of southern India and is dotted with number of temples, mosques and churches.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Coimbatore International Airport, Coimbatore (CJB), 55 kms away from Palakkad town, Cochin International Airport, Kochi (COK), 160 kms away from Palakkad town.
- Rail: Palakkad Railway Station, Palakkad, 3.5 km away from Palakkad centre of town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
Kalpathy Siva Temple
Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary Silent Valley National Park
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Kalpathi Rathotsavam
- Vela at Manappulli Kavu
- Nenmara Vallengy Vela
- Pattambi Nercha
For more information visit http:// https://palakkad.nic.in/tourist-places/
ATTRACTIONS OF PALAKKAD
- Majestic granitic fort set in the heart of the town was built by Hyder Ali of Mysore in 1766.
- It was taken-over by the British in 1790 and is one of the best preserved forts of the State.
- There is an open-air auditorium and a museum inside the fort.
Kalpathy Siva Temple:
- Famous temple on the banks of river Kalpathy is known for the annual car festival held in November.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND PALAKKAD
- 12 kms away from Palakkad town.
- Charming town amidst picturesque surrounding is famous for the Malampuzha Dam.
- Around the reservoir are beautiful rose gardens and amusement park of the children.
- ‘Yakshi’, the work of Kerala’s famous sculptor Kanai Kunhiraman is displayed in the garden.
- Boating, fishing and various water sports facilities are also available here.
Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary:
- 110 kms away from Palakkad town.
- Covers an area of 285 sq. kms around the Parambikulam, Thunacadavu and Peruvaripallan dams.
- It is a part of the neighbouring Anaimalai Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- Key fauna – gaur (bison), sambar, spotted deer, Nilgiri langur, lion tailed macaque, sloth bear etc.
- Boat cruises are available at the Parambikulam reservoir.
- Best time to visit February to April.
Silent Valley National Park:
- Park is located 80 kms from Palakkad town in the lush Kundai Hills which has perhaps the last substantial stretch of evergreen rain forests in the country.
- It is a safe haven for the rare lion tailed macaque, tiger and elephant.
- Best time to visit from September to March.
- Ayurveda, ‘the Science of Life’ is India’s natural system of medicine.
- Contribution of Kerala to the theory and practice of Ayurveda is enormous.
- Celebrated Ashta Vaidyans, who belonged to the Namboothri community, are still active in the field.
- Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala, at Kottakal, about 12 kms from Malappuram attracts patients from all over the country and abroad.
- Kerala Ayurvedic physicians have earned high reputation in the field.
- Quality Ayurvedic treatment, including massage with herbal oils, is a available at hotels and resorts.
- State has emerged as a popular destination for health motivated travellers.