- Historic Hampi set on the banks of river Tungbhadra is world renowned of the ruins of the glorious capital of the Vijayanagar Empire.
- It was described by the Portuguese traveller Domingo Paes as “being as large as Rome” and the “best provided city in the world”.
- Famous capital was founded by the two brothers Hukka (Harihara) and Bukka in 1336.
- It was ruled by 23 kings from four dynasties, over a period of 300 years.
- Under Krishnadevaraya and Achyutaraya, Hampi attained glorious height.
- In 1564, they were finally defeated by the Muslim rulers of North India in the disastrous Battle of Talikota.
- Subsequently, the flourishing capital witnessed mass-scale pillaging.
- Magnificent city finally lapsed into decline and abandonment.
- Its ruins still reflect the glory of the bygone era and features on the list of the World Heritage Sites of UNESCO.
- Today, the ruins of Hampi are spread over an area of 27sq. kms and are a veritable open air museum.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Goa International Airport, Dabolim (GOI), 300 kms away from Hampi city and Bengaluru International Airport, Bengaluru (BLR), 325 kms away from Hampi city.
- Rail: Hospet Railway Station, Hospet, 13 kms away from Hampi city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
FORT & MONUMENTS
Lotus Mahal Queen’s Bath
Vitthala Temple Lord Virupaksha Temple Ugra Narasimha
Mahanavami Dibba or the ‘House of Victory’
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Hampi Utsav
- Purandaradasa Aradhana
- Virupaksha Car Festival
For more information visit https://www.karnatakatourism.org/tour-item/hampi/
ATTRACTIONS OF HAMPI
- Magnificent temple complex is undoubtedly the best example of Vijayanagar art and architecture.
- Construction was started in 1513, by Krishnadevaraya, but was not completed even after the shifting of the capital to Penukonda in 1565.
- Impressive Kalyana Mantapa and the exquisitely carved stone chariot in the courtyard are the main attractions.
- Technical conception is so ingenious that the stone wheels of the chariot actually rotate.
- Equally impressive are the 56 musical pillars in the large Ranga Mantapa.
Lord Virupaksha Temple:
- Temple complex is dedicated to Virupaksha, an aspect of Lord Shiva and the guardian deity of the Vijayanagar kings.
- Its exquisitely carved 50 metre high gateway was renovated in 1510, by Krishnadeva Raya.
- Within the temple courtyard are many small shrines and pillared halls.
- Graceful structure built in the women’s enclosure resembles to the petals of a flower opening to the sun.
- Nearby are relics of a watch tower, which was once guarded by eunuchs.
- Royal ladies also watched the festivities from here.
- 6.7 metres high splendid sculpture of Ugra Narasimha is seated under a canopy of seven hooded snake, carved out of a single stone.
- To the left of the statue is a huge linga (Badavi linga) set under running water.
Mahanavami Dibba or the ‘House of Victory’:
- It was built by Krishnadevaraya after his victorious expedition to Orissa.
- The spaces between the rows of the plinth-mouldings are ornately carved.
- Square bath was surrounded by arched corridors, gallery verandahs and projecting filigreed balconies.
- Lotus headed fountains once sprouted perfumed water in a minor waterfall into the pool.