- Romantic Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand and the erstwhile summer capital of Bihar.
- Nestles at an altitude of 2,140 feet in the heart of charming Chhotanagpur plateau.
- Brach climate and lush landscape teeming with wonderful waterfalls has made the beautiful town a popular health and holiday resort.
- An important place for the study of tribal ways of life.
- It has a number of industrial complexes.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi (IXR), 5 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Rail: Ranchi Railway Station, Ranchi, 3.5 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Road: Well connected by NH 23 and NH 33.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Ranchi Hill & Lake Tagore Hill Gonda Hill & Rock Garden Hathia Dam Mc Cluskieganje
Angrabadi Jagannathpur Temple & Hill Ratu Sun Temple
PARK & GARDENS
Gonda Hill & Rock Garden Mutta Muggar Breeding Centre & Birsa Zoological Park
ATTRACTIONS OF RANCHI
- Ranchi Hill & Lake:
- The ‘Ranchi Hill’ dominating the skyline of the town is crowned by a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- At the base of hill is the pristine Ranchi Lake, which was excavated in 1842, Colonel Onsely, a British agent Boating facilities are available.
- Tagore Hill:
- 300 feet high hill is named after poet and Nobel laureate, Rabindra Nath Tagore, who is said to have penned many poems here.
- Gonda Hill & Rock Garden:
- Attractive hillock of the town is set on the Kanke road, about 4 kms from the GPO.
- Popular big lake called as Kanke Dam is at the foot of the Gonda Hill near the Albert Ekka Chowk.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND RANCHI
- Temple complex amidst scenic surroundings has shrines of Lord Ganapati, Ram-Sita and Hanuman and Shiva.
- Hathia Dam:
- 12 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Popular picnic and excursion point.
- Mutta Muggar Breeding Centre & Birsa Zoological Park:
- 23 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Crocodile breeding centre and zoo are worth visiting.
- Jagannathpur Temple & Hill:
- 10 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Sacred hill-top temple of Lord Jagannath was built in 1691.
- Annual Rath Yatra held here in the month of June/ July attracts a large number of devotees.
- Hundru Falls:
- 28 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Subarnarekha River plunges down from a height of about 320 feet over here, creating one of the most picturesque waterfalls.
- Mc Cluskieganje:
- 40 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- Tiny idyllic hamlet amidst lush forests lies on the NH 47.
- It was originally set up for the Anglo – Indians, during the 1950s.
- Today, this cool haven with a colonial ambience has perfect settings for a quiet holiday.
- 17 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- It was the seat of the erstwhile Maharaja of Chhotanagpur.
- Now well known for the ‘Durga Puja’ and ‘Rath Yatra’ celebrations.
- Bhorra, the origin point of river Koel is located nearby.
- Sun Temple:
- The magnificent shrine located on the Tata Road near Bundu, 39 kms away from Ranchi city centre.
- It was built in the form of a huge chariot by the Sanskrit Vihar.
- Ornately carved 18 wheels and seven life like horses pulling the chariot are noteworthy.