- Major industrial and commercial centre is well known for its rich coal fields.
- Famous for educational and research institutes like, the Indian School of Mines, Mining Research Station and National Fuel Research Institute.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi (IXR), 144 kms away from Dhanbad.
- Rail: Dhanbad Railway Station, Dhanbad, 1.5 kms away from Dhanbad city centre.
- Road: Well connected with road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Jharia Maithon Dam
Tundi (Chark Khurd)
Bokaro Bokaro Steel City
Topchanchi Lake & Bird Sanctuary
ATTRACTIONS AROUND DHANBAD
- 6 kms away from Dhanbad city centre.
- One of the most important coal fields of the country and is shared by the states of Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- Nearby are series of lake-reservoirs built as a part of the Damodar Valley Scheme.
- These lakes enhance the beauty of the region.
- Maithon Dam:
- 50 kms away from Dhanbad city.
- It was designed for flood control and has a unique underground power station, the first of its kind in South Asia.
- Huge lake at Maithon covers an area of 65 sq. kms.
- Topchanchi Lake & Bird Sanctuary:
- 37 kms away from Dhanbad city.
- Lovely lake adjoining Maithon Dam and Panchet Dam is surrounded by hills and thick forest.
- A rich variety of bird life can be seen here.
- Tundi (Chark Khurd):
- 32 kms away from Dhanbad city.
- It is well known for the hot springs.
- Major industrial centre lies on the Dhanbad – Ranchi highway, 86 kms away from Dhanbad.
- It is known for the country’s biggest and the first indigenous (swadeshi) steel plant.
- Bokaro Steel City:
- City’s foundation was laid in 1965, with the collaboration of the erstwhile USSR.
- Major coal fields are located nearby.