- Magnificent Mandi, an important historical, culture and religious centre nestles on the left bank of the river Beas.
- It was the capital of the erstwhile princely state of Mandi and also a major commercial centre.
- Known as ‘Varanasi of Hills’, has 81 exquisitely carved temples.
- Most important are of Bhutnath, Triolknath (built in 1520), Panchvaktra and Shyamakali at Tarna Hill.
- Mandi is also associated with saint Mandva, who is believed to have meditated here.
- Town is famous for its unique celebrations of Shivaratri Festival.
- Celebrations last for eight days and during this time images of the deities of the nearby temples are brought in a colourful procession to the shrine of Lord Bhutnath (Shiva).
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Bhuntar Airport, Bhuntar (KUU), 59 kms away from Mandi.
- Rail: Joginder Nagar Railway Station, Joginder Nagar, 55 kms away from Mandi and Pathankot Railway Station, Pathankot, 210 kms away from Mandi.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Rewalsar Parashar Lake Sunder Nagar
Rewalsar Parashar Lake
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Mandi Shivratri Fair
- Chaitra & Ashwin Navratri Mela
For more information visit https://himachaltourism.gov.in/destination/mandi/
ATTRACTIONS AROUND MANDI
- 25 kms away from Mandi.
- Holy lake with floating islands is equally sacred to Sikhs, Hindus and Buddhists.
- A Buddhists monastery, Gurudwara and a temple built on the bank of the lake.
- It is believed that sage Padma Sambhava, a Buddhist preacher, went to Tibet from here to preach the doctrine of “ the enlightened”,
- Guru Gobind Singh, the tenth Sikh Guru visited Mandi and stayed here.
- 40 kms away from Mandi.
- Serene Lake surrounded by mountains is located near Baghi village.
- Three storied pagoda like shrine of sage Prashar is said to be built by Raja Ban Sen of Mandi in the 14th century amidst tranquil surroundings.
- 26 kms away from Mandi.
- Beautiful town is noted for its scenic beauty.
- Temples of Sukhdev Vatika and Mahyama.
- 56 kms away from Mandi.
- Famous for the hydro-electric project.
- Reservoir is located at Barot, which can be reached by an electric trolley.