- Delightful Dalhousie, a hill resort par excellence sprawls picturesquely on five hills on the outer slopes of the Dhauladhar ranges.
- Lord Dalhousie, the governor-general of British India between 1854 and 1856, founded the resort.
- He conceived it as a sanatorium due to its bracing climate and scenic beauty.
- Quaint little hill resort surrounded by oak and pine trees still retains the colonial ambience.
- It is very well reflected in its gable-roofed bungalows and churches.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport, Amritsar (ATQ), 90 kms away from Dalhousie and Gaggal Airport, Kangra (DHM), 130 kms away from Dalhousie.
- Rail: Pathankot Railway Station, Pathankot, 80 kms away from Dalhousie.
- Road: Well connected with NH 1.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Panchpula or Five Bridges Khajjiar
Laxmi Narayan Temple Churches
Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
Kynance Radha Swami Satsang Bhawan & Hospital
|FAIRS & FESTIVALS
- Minjar Fair
- Manimahesh Yatra Bharmaur
For more information visit https://himachaltourism.gov.in/destination/dalhousie/
ATTRACTIONS OF DALHOUSIE
Panchpula or Five Bridges:
- This scenic site has five small bridges over the streams emerging from natural tank.
- A ‘Samadhi’ erected in the memory of Sardar Ajit Singh, a freedom fighter and uncle of great martyr Bhagat Singh is located here.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose stayed here after his release from British jail.
- Enchanting water body amidst dense woods.
- It was favourite place of Netaji during 7 months stay in Dalhousie in 1937.
Laxmi Narayan Temple:
- 150 year old shrine at Sadar Bazar enshrines a beautiful image of Lord Vishnu.
- Dalhousie is also known foot its four beautiful churches.
- St. Andrew’s Church and St. Patrick’s Church at Balun, St. Francis Church at Subhash Chowk and St. John’s Church at Gandhi Chowk.
Radha Swami Satsang Bhawan & Hospital:
- An important site for the followers of the Radha Swami sect of Beas (Punjab).
- Satsang Bhawan near Moti Tibba is visited by large number of followers.
- Present Radha Swami Chief Baba Gurinder Singh Ji visits Dalhousie twice a year.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND DALHOUSIE
Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary:
- 10 kms away from Dalhousie city.
- Sanctuary here is home to the ‘ghoral’ and Himalayan black bear.
- One of the best picnic spots of the region.
- 23 kms away from Dalhousie city.
- Lush meadow of Khajjiar set on a saucer shaped plateau surrounded by dense pine.
- Deodar forests is endowed with exceptional scenic beauty.
- It is often referred by names like, ‘Mini Switzerland’ and ‘Gulmarg of Himachal’.
- A small lake further enhances the beauty of Khajjiar.
- Near the lake is a beautifully carved 12th century temple of Khajjinag.