- Ancient fortified city at the foothills of the sacred Girnar hill is resplendent with mythological legends.
- Its antiquity dates back to pre-Harappan times and was ruled by Mauryas, Kshatrapa, Guptas, Vallabhis, Chudasamas, Gujarat Sultans and Babi Nawabs.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Keshod Airport, Keshod (IXK), 42 kms away from Junagadh city centre.
- Rail: Junagadh Railway Station, Junagadh, 1 km away from Junagadh city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
FORT & MONUMENTS
Uparkot or Upper Fort Maqbaras
Sasan Gir Sanctuary
Ashoka’s Rock Edict
ATTRACTIONS OF JUNAGADH
- Uparkot or Upper Fort:
- Stronghold of Mauryas and Guptas has survived about 16 sieges in last 1000 years.
- Fort wall around the town and the fort made Uparkot virtually inaccessible.
- Mausoleums of the Nawabs of Junagadh are a fine representation of Nawabi architecture.
- Ashoka’s Rock Edict:
- A huge boulder inscribed with 14 edicts of emperor Ashoka (257-56 B.C.).
- Lie on the way to Girnar from Uparkot.
- Girnar Hill:
- Sacred hill is an important pilgrim centre for Hindus, Jains and Muslims.
- First set of Jain temples are at a height of 610 metre and the main temple is dedicated to Lord Neminath.
- Shrines of Ambaji, Gorakhnath and Guru Dattatraya are further up on the sacred mount.
- A shrine of Shiva and a Dargah are perched atop the hill.
- Millions of pilgrims participate in the fair of Bhavnath Mahadev temple.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND JUNAGADH
- Sasan Gir Sanctuary:
- 54 kms away from Junagadh city.
- Famous house of the Lion, the majestic king of the Jungles.
- It is the only place where the Asiatic lion can be seen in his natural habitat.
- Others animals inhabiting the Gir forest are – panther, bear, antelope, fox, black etc.
- A rich variety of birdlife can also be seen here.