- Founded by Bhavsinhji Gohil in 1743.
- It was the capital of a princely state before the independence of India.
- Today, it is a flourishing port on the Gulf of Khambhat and an important commercial and industrial centre.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Bhavnagar Airport, Bhavnagar (BHU), 4.5 kms away from Bhavnagar city centre.
- Rail: Bhavnagar Railway Station, Bhavnagar, 4 kms away from Bhavnagar city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Takhteswar Temple Palitana
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
ATTRACTIONS OF BHAVNAGAR
- Gaurishankar Lake:
- A beautiful picnic spot.
- There is a well laid out garden nearby.
- Takhteswar Temple:
- It is perched atop a hill and affords a beautiful view.
- Burton Museum:
- Established in 1895 and exhibits a rich collection of old weapons, armour and coins.
- The library has a rich collection books.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND BHAVNAGAR
- 60 kms away from Bhavnagar city.
- One of the most important Jain pilgrim centres in the country.
- On the sacred Shatrunjaya hill, 863 exquisite temples were built over an impressive span of 900 years.
- Temple dedicated to Lord Adishwara, the first Jain tirthankar is considered to be the most sacred shrine on the hill.
- Other important temples are of Kumarpal, Vimalshah, Choumukh etc.
- Near the shrine of Adishwara is a Dargah of Angar Pir, where unfertile women offer miniature cradels.