- Capital city is also the main business and industrial centre of Chhattisgarh.
- Ancient capital of Kalchuri dynasty played an important role in India’s struggle for freedom.
- Raipur is also a fine base to visit the tourist centres of the region.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Swami Vivekananda Airport, Raipur (RPR), 15 kms away from Raipur city.
- Rail: Raipur Railway Station, Raipur, 8 kms away from Raipur city.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
Dudhadhari Math Arang Champaranya Nagpura Rajim Rajivlochan Temple Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple Lakshman Temple
FORT & MONUMENTS
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum
ATTRACTIONS OF RAIPUR
- Rajkumar College:
- Famous school for princes was originally established at Jabalpur in 1882, by Sir Andrew Fraser.
- Affiliated to the Cambridge University and was shifted to Raipur in 1894.
- Mahant Ghasidas Memorial Museum:
- Commemorates Raja Mahant Ghasidas’s passion for fine arts and exhibits artefacts dating back to 6th century.
- 2nd century wooden pillar discovered in Kirari is the star attraction.
- There is also a library here.
- Budha Talab:
- Beautiful pond with swaying palms at one end once served as a moat for the Raipur fort.
- Dudhadhari Math:
- 17th century shrine located in the ‘Purani Basti’ area was built by King Jaitsingh.
- Other attractions include Mahamaya temple, Fort, Bhandarpuri, suspenseful Shiv Mandir, Town Hall and Ramakrishna mission.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND RAIPUR
- 36 kms away from Raipur city.
- Ancient “City of Temples” finds mention in the great epic Mahabharata.
- Bhandeval temple, Baghdeval temple and Mahamaya temple are some of the important shrine here.
- The steel city is situated about 10 kms east of Durg town and 27 kms from Raipur city.
- Famous Bhilai Steel Plant here is the first steel plant of the private sector with advance technological equipment’s and operations.
- Famous garden here is a shining example of Indo-Russian friendship.
- Beautiful garden covers an area of 100 acres and is also famous for its Zoological Park.
- Pilgrim site is 14 kms from Rajim and 30 kms from Arang.
- Birth place of Shri Vallabhacharyaji, the guru of Vaishnava dharm.
- About 14 kms from Durg town and 60 kms from Raipur city.
- Important Jain pilgrim centre set on the banks of river Seonath.
- Three spired shrine here is dedicated to Lord Pasharwanath.
- 48 kms away from Raipur city.
- Sacred temple town set on the confluence of three rivers – Mahanadi, Pairi and Sondur is also referred as the ‘Prayag of Chhattisgarh’.
- Rajivlochan Temple:
- Dedicated to the “lotus eyed” Lord Vishnu.
- Houses an idol of lord Vishnu and has manuscripts dating back to 8-10th centuries.
- Kaleshwar Mahadev Temple:
- Shiva temple lies on a small island, on the confluence of Mahanadi and Pairi River.
- 15 kms away from Raipur city.
- Beautiful garden on the banks of Kharron River was developed by Wildlife Division of Raipur Forest department.
- There is also a zoo here.
- 80 kms away from Raipur city.
- Historical town earlier known as ‘Sripur’ or the ‘City of Prosperity’.
- It was the capital of mid-south Koshal from 5th to 8th country.
- An important centre of Buddhism from the 6th to 10th century and finds mention in the accounts of the famous Chinese traveller Huen Sang.
- Lakshman Temple:
- Built by the widow queen of Som-vanshi king Harsh Gupta and was dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
- Unique brick built temple is only one of its kind in the entire region.