- Union Territory of Chandigarh is the capital of both Punjab and Haryana.
- Best planned and designed by Le Corbusier, a famous French architect and his cousin Pierre Jeanneret.
- Charming town referred as the ‘paean to the urban planning’ is divided into several self-contained sectors, with its own market-place, hospitals, educational institutions, worship place, gardens and open play grounds etc.
- Provision for a separate self-contained industrial zone at the east end of the city was made, to keep the city pollution free.
- Chandigarh ushered into India “the modern architectural era” and is a manifestation of the dreams and aspirations of young India.
- Jawahar Lal Nehru, remarked – “Let this be a now town, symbolic of the freedom of India, unfettered by the traditions of the past an expression of the nation’s faith in the future”.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Chandigarh Airport (IXC), Chandigarh, 12 kms away from Chandigarh city centre.
- Rail: Chandigarh Railway Station, Chandigarh, 8 kms away from Chandigarh city centre.
- Road: Well connected with NH 21 and NH 22.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
|PARK & GARDEN
- Rock Garden
- Zakir Hussain Rose Garden
|MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
- Govt. Museum & Art Gallery
- International Doll Museum
ATTRACTIONS OF CHANDIGARH
- Unique garden made out of rubble ranging from industrial to urban waste was conceived and created by Nek Chand.
- It is a must visit site of Chandigarh.
Zakir Hussain Rose Garden:
- Largest Rose Garden in Asia was named after Dr. Zakir Hussain, the former President of India.
- Garden sprawls over an area of 27 acres and has more than 17,000 plants representing about 1,600 varieties of rose species.
- It also has beautiful fountains and a large number of trees known for medicinal value.
- Beautiful lake provides water sport facilities like, boating, water-skiing, canoeing etc.
Govt. Museum & Art Gallery:
- A fine collection of stone sculptures of the Gandhara period.
- Museum is the place to see the prehistoric fossils and artifacts along with modern art and miniature paintings.
International Doll Museum:
- It has an interesting collection of dolls and puppets from all over the world covering the variant art of more than 25 countries.