- The Gateway to the North East and banks of Brahmaputra.
- Main industrial, commercial and communicational centre of the region.
- Important religious and political nerve centre of ancient Assam.
- One of the fastest growing cities in India
- City is associated with various products like tea, oil, forest produce and handlooms etc.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION
- Airport: Guwahati International Airport (GAU), 23 kms distance from Guwahati city centre.
- Rail: Guwahati Railway Station and North East Frontier Railway.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Kamakhya Temple, Nabagraha Temple, Umananda Temple
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
|Assam State Museum
|Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalashetra,Assam State Zoo
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
Bohag Bihu Festival
For more information visit https://tourism.assam.gov.in/
ATTRACTION OF GUWAHATI
- Sacred shrine of Goddess Kali.
- Most important temple of Assam and main attraction of Guwahati.
- Fine example of Assamese architecture.
- One of the three most important tantric and venerated shaktipeeths temples in India.
Assam State Museum:
- A rich collection of archaeological and ethnographic arte facts like stone sculptures and bronzes etc.
- Temple of the ‘Nine Planets’ at the chitranchal hill.
- Ancient seat of astrology and astronomy.
- Lingam inside the shrine is surrounded by nine representations of the planets.
- Shiva temple is set on the Peacock Island in Brahmaputra River.
- Reached by boat from Umananda Ghat.
Srimanta Sankaradeva Kalashetra:
- Cultural centre is name d after Sankaradeva, a 15th century Vaishnavite saint.
- Preserves and promotes the cultural identity of the Assam.
Assam State Zoo:
- Well maintained zoo has a rich variety of animal life.
- There is a fine botanical garden.
ATTRACTION OF AROUND GUWAHATI
- 11 kms from Guwahati.
- Beautiful picnic site has waterfall.
- Two reddomed temples of sage Vashistha.
- 32 kms from Guwahati.
- Pilgrim centre on the north bank of the Brahmaputra.
- Important centre of Assamese culture and learning.
- Temple of Hayagriba Madhab is said to enshrine a relic of Lord Buddha.
- Famous Pao Mecca mosque located nearby.
- 32 kms from Guwahati and near to Hajo.
- Known for the production of famous Muga, the golden silk of Assam.
- Perhaps one of the largest weaving villages in the world.
- 34 kms from Guwahati.
- Relics of tantric temple of Goddess Shakti.
- Built during 11th and 12th centuries.
- Also called as the “Khajuraho of Kamrup”