- Vibrant Visakhapatnam, the ‘jewel’ of the east coast of India.
- A harmonious blend of the magical past and bustling present.
- Breathtaking city of golden beaches, lush fields, verdant valleys and splendid monuments is named after ‘Visakha’, the god of Valour.
- Antiquity can be traced back to emperor Ashoka (273 – 232 BC) and was later ruled by the Andhra Kings of Vengi, the Cholas and the Gangas.
- Visakhapatnam or Vizag has now emerged as an important port, industrial as well as tourist centre.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Visakhapatnam Airport, Visakhapatnam (VTZ), 10 kms away from Visakhapatnam city centre.
- Rail: Visakhapatnam Railway Station, Visakhapatnam, 14 kms away from Visakhapatnam city centre.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Rishikonda Ross Hill (Kanyamarykonda) Darga Konda Sri Venkateswara Swamy Konda Simhachalam
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Visakha Museum Submarine Museum
Ramakrishna Beach Lawson’s Bay Rishikonda
Ross Hill (Kanyamarykonda) Kailasagiri Araku Valley
Bheemunipatnam or Bheemli
FAIRS AND FESTIVALS
For more information visit : https://visakhapatnam.ap.gov.in/tourism/
ATTRACTIONS OF VISAKHAPATNAM
- Magnificent beach occupies the largest part of the sea front.
- One of the most popular sites of the town.
- Ramakrishna Mission is located nearby and there is also an imposing Kali Temple near the beach.
- An aquarium here is also worth visiting.
- Located to the north of Vishakhapatnam and is considered ideal for swimming as well as surfing.
- Excellent beach resort 8 kms from the town is located against the backdrop of lush Rishikonda hill on the Visakhapatnam-Bheemunipatnam beach road.
- 14th century temple of Sri Sapta Rusheswara is also located here.
Ross Hill (Kanyamarykonda):
- Highest hill on the Eastern Ghats is named after Mr. Ross.
- Built a house here in 1864, which was converted into a church.
- Magnificent hill has a mosque and a shrine dedicated to the Muslim saint Ishaque Madina, who is revered for his prophecies.
Sri Venkateswara Swamy Konda:
- Third important hillock of the city has a temple dedicated to Lord Venkateswara.
- According to the Telugu inscriptions, a British soldier Captain Blackmoor built this temple in 1886.
- Charming hill on the sea front affords breathtaking scenic view especially towards Bheemli.
- Well laid out hill park sprawls over an area of 350 acres, teeming with enchanting flora and tropical trees.
- Magnificent statues of Shiva – Parvati, which are illuminated at night.
- 40 metres high Sankham, Chakram and Namam are illuminated in the night can be seen from most parts of the city.
- Massive dolphin shaped promontory jutting into the sea is located in the southern part of the town.
- Most conspicuous landmark of Visakhapatnam is 174 metres high and have a very powerful lighthouse.
- Housed in a 150 years old “Dutch Bungalow” on the beach road.
- Unique museum is housed in the INS Kusura.
- A Russian built submarine and is the first of its kind Asia.
- Located at the Ramakrishna Beach and was set-up on 27th Feb 2001.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND VISAKHAPATNAM
- 115 kms away from Visakhapatnam city.
- Picturesque valley in the Eastern Ghats is popularly known as Andhra’s Ooty.
- Extends over an area of 36 sq. kms and is rich in exotic flora and fauna.
- Valley is inhabited by 17 colourful tribes still untouched by modern civilization.
- A favourite out-door location for the Telugu film makers.
- Located on the way to Araku valley 90 kms away from Visakhapatnam city.
- Spectacular caves believed to be over 1 million years old.
- Caves cover an area of over 2 sq. kms and were formed as a result of action of the waters of Gosthani River on the limestone terrain.
- Fascinating stalagmite and stalactite in the caves are truly amazing.
Bheemunipatnam or Bheemli:
- Historical town at the mouth of river Gosthani and 24 kms away from Visakhapatnam city.
- Named after Bhima, one of the five Pandava brothers of Mahabharta epic.
- He believed to have killed demon Bakasura over here and installed an idol of Lord Narasimha at the temple atop the Narasimha hill.
- Bheemli was under the Dutch occupation during 17th century and has some relics of a Dutch fort and settlement.
- Cemetery here has tombs embossed with the skull-and-cross bones motif of the sea pirates.
- Tranquil Bheemunipatnam beach is very safe for swimmers.
- 16 kms away from Visakhapatnam city.
- Simhachalam or the ‘Lion’s Hill’ is famous for the 11th century Varaha Lakshmi Narasimhaswami temple.
- One of the most important shrines of Lord Vishnu.
- During the Chandanayatra Festival (March/ April), the sandal paste is removed and the real shape of idol is visible.
- One of the best sculpted shrines in Andhra Pradesh.