ABOUT NAGARJUNASAGAR (NAGARJUNAKONDA):
- Important historical and archaeological site is set amidst one of the most picturesque surroundings.
- The region is endowed with a rich and vibrant past.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Rajiv Gandhi International Airport, Shamshabad (HYD), 160 kms away from Nagarjunasagar city.
- Rail: Macherla Railway Station, Macherla, 22 kms away from Nagarjunasagar city.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
Srisailam Sanctuary (Project Tiger)
Nagarjunasagar Dam Anupu
ATTRACTIONS OF NAGARJUNASAGAR (NAGARJUNAKONDA)
- Nagarjunasagar Dam:
- Highest and largest masonry dam in the world.
- Built over the mighty Krishna River and is indeed a marvel of civil engineering.
- Named after Buddhist sage Acharya Nagarjuna, the revered Buddhist monk and founder of Mahayana Buddhism.
- Reservoir of the dam covers an area of about 380 sq. kms.
- One of the largest man-made lakes in the world.
- One of the largest and most important Buddhist centres in South India.
- Unique museum built in the form of an ancient Buddhist vihara is perched atop a hill on the right side of the Nagarjunasagar canal.
- Preserves priceless archaeological relics and findings recovered from the valley area submerged under the waters of the reservoir.
- Nagarjuna Island can be reached by motor launch which departs from small village of Vijayapuri on the banks of Nagarjunasagar.
ATTRACTIONS AROUND NAGARJUNASAGAR (NAGARJUNAKONDA)
- About 4 kms away from Dam site.
- Relics of Buddhist University and stadium excavated at Nagarjunasagar have been reconstructed at Anupu.
- Stadium is noted for its excellent acoustics and is a worth visiting site.
- Ethipothala Falls:
- Spectacular falls are 6 kms from Macherla and 11 kms from Nagrjunasagar near Thallapalle village.
- Chandravanka stream merges here with the Krishna River, plunging from a height of 21 metres amidst picturesque surroundings.
- Major Hindu pilgrim centre is located on the banks of Swarnamukhi, amidst the scenic Rishabhagiri hills.
- Magnificent Malikarjuna Swamy temple atop the hill enshrines one of the twelve jyotirlingas existing in the country.
- Another important shrine is the fortified temple of Sri Parvata, which is regarded as one of the eighteen leading Shaktipeeths in the country.
- Srisailam Sanctuary (Project Tiger):
- About 130 kms away from Hyderabad city.
- Covers an area of 3568 sq. kms and is the largest ‘Tiger Reserve’ in the country.
- Sanctuary is endowed with rich flora and fauna.
- Important tourist attraction of Srisailam – Nagarjunasagar area lies within the sanctuary area.