ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLAND
ABOUT ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLAND
- Most of these islands (about 550) are in the Andaman Group, 28 of which are inhabited. The smaller Nicobars, comprise some 22 main islands (10 inhabited).
- The Andaman and Nicobars are separated by the Ten Degree Channel which is 150 Kms. wide.
- These islands also boast of freedom fighting days’ historically significant landmarks viz. Cellular Jail, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Island, Viper Island, Hopetown and Mount Harriet.
- There are about 96 Wildlife Sanctuaries, nine National Parks and one Biosphere Reserve in the islands.
- Capital: Port Blair
- Area: 8,249 km²
- Population: 419,978 (2020 Census)
- Languages: Hindi or Bengali, but Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam also are common.
- Best Season: October and May
- Famous For: An Island town offering water-based activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, sea-cruises, and glimpses of the history and culture of the region.
- Climate (Temperature):
- Normal rainfall at Port Blair : 3900 mm
- Mean Minimum Temperature : 23.2° C
- Mean MaximumTemperature : 25° C
- Mean relative Humidity : 80 %