ABOUT KAPILVASTU (PIPRAHWA):
- The ancient capital of Sakyas lies in the foothills of Himalayan terai.
- Lord Buddha was born as Prince Gautama Siddhartha to Sakya King Suddhodana and was brought up in luxury and opulence.
- But, a vision of old age, disease and death made him realise the hollowness of worldly pleasures.
- He renounced the world and left his palace in Kapilvastu at the age of 29 and came back 12 years later, after attaining enlightenment.
- Today, Kapilvastu comprises of several villages, the most important are, Piprahwa and Ganvaria.
- A large stupa at the ancient site is said to contain the bone relics of the Buddha.
- The ruins of the palace are spread over a large area.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Gorakhpur Airport, Gorakhpur (GOP), 140 kms away from Kapilvastu town.
- Rail: Siddharth Nagar Railway Station, Siddharth Nagar, 20 kms away from Kapilvastu town.
- Road: Well connected by road.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
For more information visit https://gorakhpur.nic.in/tourist-place/kapilvastu/
ATTRACTIONS AROUND KAPILVASTU (PIPRAHWA)
- 86 kms away from Kapilvastu town.
- Lord Buddha was born here under a blooming Sala tree.
- An Ashokan column – Rummindei pillar marks the visit of emperor Ashoka in 249 B.C. to this sacred site and also commemorates Buddha’s nativity.