- Scenic Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya.
- Perched at an altitude of 1,496 meters.
- One of the finest hill resorts of India.
- Shillong lies in the midst of idyllic surroundings.
- This ‘Scotland of the East’ came under the reigns of British, by an agreement in 1863, with Syiem (King) of Mylliem.
- In 1874, Shillong become the capital of Assam.
- Remained so till the creation of Meghalaya state in 1972.
- Dotted with pretty houses surrounded with flowers adding a splash of colour, it is ideal for family holidays.
MODE OF COMMUNICATION:
- Airport: Umroi Airport, Shillong (SHL) 35 kms and Guwahati Airport (GAU) 128 kms from Shillong. Helicopter services also operate between Guwahati and Shillong.
- Rail: Guwahati Railway Station 103 kms from Shillong.
- Road: Well connected with NH 40.
SIGHTSEEING AT A GLANCE:
Cathedral Catholic Church
MUSEUM & AUDITORIUM
|Capt. Williamson Sangma State Museum, Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures, Chrysalis the Gallery,
PARK & GARDEN
|Thrills Fun Park,Lady Hydari Park, Mattilang Park,Kharsati Park
|Ward's Lake, Umiam or Barapani Lake & Water Sports Complex
|Shillong Golf Course, Spread Eagle Falls,Sweet Falls, Elephant Falls, Shillong Peak, Shillong Peak,Mawphlang Sacred Forest , Nongkhnum Island,
FAIRS & FESTIVALS
Khyndailad (Police Bazar),Iewduh (Bara Bazar)
For more information visit https://meghalaya.gov.in/
ATTRACTIONS OF SHILLONG
- A century old, horse shoe shaped lake set in the heart of the town with an arched bridge over.
- It has facilities for boating.
- Lake surrounded by a garden of flowers and pine trees.
- A walk around the lake quite pleasant.
Cathedral Catholic Church:
- Shillong is studded with numerous churches remaining the colonial heritage of the town.
- The most beautiful of them is the Cathedral of Mary Help of Christian.
Capt. Williamson Sangma State Museum:
- It lies within the premises of the State Central library.
- A fine collection of artefacts of Meghalaya and other North Eastern States.
Don Bosco Centre for Indigenous Cultures:
- A museum with a research and publication center three-in-one Institution.
- Preserving the rich cultural heritage of North-East India.
- Under one roof a unique fusion of the entire sister states.
Chrysalis the Gallery:
- Situated on the 2nd floor of Salonsar Mansion at Police Bazaar.
- Display paintings, sculpture, photography and handicrafts.
Shillong Golf Course:
- Situated in the centre of the city, set at an altitude of 5,200 feet.
- Golf course was set up in 1898.
- Excellent 18 hole course finds mention in International Directories of Golf Courses of repute.
Spread Eagle Falls:
- Located at Shillong Cantonment and 6 kms from Shillong city centre.
- Looks like an eagle with wings spread hence Spread Eagle Falls.
- Sprightliness is turned into arrogance in the months of rain.
- 8 kms from Shillong city centre and near to Happy Valley.
- Drops vertically over a distance exceeding 200 feet.
- 12 kms from Shillong city centre.
- Unique part of Elephant Falls, which is a two-tier waterfall, set in the dingles of the rocks.
- A small wooden bridge facilitates access to these falls.
- 1,965 meters altitude and 10 kms from Shillong city centre.
- The highest peak in the State.
- Affords fine view of Shillong and its surroundings.
- There is also a sanctum dedicated to U Shulong at the summit.
Mawphlang Sacred Forest:
- 24 kms from Shillong.
- The sacred forest –grove preserved here since time immemorial is ‘‘Nature’s Own Museum’’.
- The trees within the grove are laden with epiphytic orchids, ferns etc.
- Must visit site for nature lovers and botanists.
- Located 109 kms from Shillong.
- 5 sq. kms. biggest river island in Meghalaya and the 2nd biggest river island in Asia.
- A wooden bridge over the Weinia Fall to enter the island.
Jakrem Hot Spring:
- Located on the Shillong-Mawkyrwat Road 64 kms from Shillong.
- Famous for hot water springs which is believed curative medicinal properties.
- Also idle for picnic spot.
- 90 kms from Shillong near Indo-Bangla border.
- Surrounding environment clean is an age old tradition.
- Picturesque village offers many interesting sights such as the living root bridge and another strange natural phenomenon of a boulder balancing on another rock.
Lady Hydari Park:
- Located in the heart of the city with an abundance of plants and flowers.
- It is noted for its nurseries and horticultural wealth.
- There is also a mini zoo cum deer park.
- Crinoline falls nearby cascade through its jungle path.
- At the foot of the falls is a well maintained swimming pool.
- Amusement park located in upper Shillong.
- On the hillock overlooking that Elephant Falls.
Lum Nehru Park:
Located 15 kms from Shillong.
Its aviary, orchid-house and superbly maintained lawns.
Umiam or Barapani Lake & Water Sports Complex:
- 15 kms from Shillong, Lum Nehru Park adjacent to the resort has an Orchidarium.
- It has been development upon the huge reservoir of the Umiam Hydro Electric Project.
- Facilities for boating are provided here.
- There is also a floating restaurant.
- Located 40 kms from Shillong.
- Preservation and conservation of the flora and fauna of the area.
Thrills Fun Park:
- Located 25 kms from Shillong on Shillong-Guwahati road.
- A place for picnic, fun and recreation for kid's youth and elderly people.
- Dance and Music by some local band and DJ
- Best places for a good drink and entertainment.
Iewduh (Bara Bazar):
- Oldest and largest traditional markets and trade centre in the whole of northeast India.
- Most important market of Meghalaya and is mainly run by women.
- Providing an insight into the State’s tribal culture.
Khyndailad (Police Bazar):
- Modern market has hotels, restaurants and shops cater to every need.
- Shopping outlets are Handicrafts and Handlooms, Assam Emporium, Purbashree Emporium, Khadi Gram Udyog.